31 May 2014

~ The Life of Gus ~ And now He is Patrolling Heaven..





I wrote The Story of Gus on March 15, 2014.

On Wednesday, May 25, our buddy began 
sneezing and showing signs of what we 
thought were a feline cold. 

On Thursday morning, he couldn't breathe
through his nose and began gasping 
for air by breathing through his mouth. 
Off to our vet we went. 

I was thinking respiratory infection and so was the vet. But after 3 rounds of steroids, which usually always work by opening the bronchial airway, Gus was still unable to breath through his nose.

Dr. Kate did a CBC, which checks the blood cell count and a Chem 17, which checks internal organ function-liver, kidneys, pancreas.
Everything was normal.
 In fact, for the age of Gus, our vet was impressed 
with these test results.

A chest x-ray showed his lungs were totally clear.
After all these tests, and the rounds of steroids, 
Dr. Kate began to ponder that something was actually 
blocking his ability to breathe by way of nasal cavity.
A skull x-ray proved that Gus had a tumor in his nose.
It grew fast, as Gus had no symptoms until 72 hours before this.

At 6pm on Thursday, we arrived at our vet's office.
We are so fortunate to live less than a 1/2 mile from here!
Everyone was long gone except Dr. Kate.

We spent time with Gus loving on him.
We thanked him for all the field mice he caught over the years!
We laughed about the time he brought home a live squirrel....
and ran in the house with it! Oy.
How glad we were that he 'found' us 7 years ago.
We told him how much he was loved.
And then Gus left us to begin his new job of "Patrolling Heaven".

J buried Gus between the pond and a Bradford Pear tree.
The perfect spot he loved for laying in the shade and frog watching!

Thank you so much to Dr. Kate.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

This is Gus.
Gus showed up about 7 years ago.
Whether he just wandered to our home
or someone dropped him off, we will never know.
Either way, he needed a family.
Never wanting to come in the house,
the first few years he lived outside.

He had already been neutered,
so at one time someone cared about him.
{Although I am pretty sure that Gus didn't 
consider that vet visit an act of love!!}

Gus is a big guy.
He weighs in around 18 pounds.
He is sweet. He is a loner.
He likes to cuddle with us on his terms,
but he doesn't cuddle with the other felines or pups.
Zeke was the only one he would happily lay with.

After Gus showed up he seemed to 
make it his mission to patrol the property.
I believe in his mind he is a security guard!

We always had problems with a few 
feral cats and had tried to trap them.
They were too smart and never took the bait! 


But once Gus came along, they moved on.
He had a presence they didn't want to mess with!

I am in love with the old barn!

J and I took a short walk this past Sunday.
While the other felines played lazy 
and sunned themselves, Gus joined us.

He always walks with such purpose....

Stopping to check out anything that fluttered,
eyeing a squirrel who was chattering in a tree,
and making sure the meowing cat he heard was a family member.
I guess it's hard for Gus to leave his security
 job behind even when he isn't on duty.


Wind chimes in the Sunday sun outside our bedroom window.


But then he decided to get the most of his day off.
He rolled in the dirt.
He chased things that fluttered in the wind,
he flipped his tail back and forth while eyeing a squirrel,
and he meowed back at that meowing family member.

Life is pretty darn good for Gus.


Whenever Gus feels he has fulfilled his patrol duties,
he climbs up on the little table that 
sits between the rockers on the front porch.

And he stares into the living room window
 waiting to grab our attention to 
let us know he is ready to come back inside!




He leaves behind lovely little paw prints and nose prints
all over the window!
And so every few days, I fulfill my duties and clean the window!




Gus has slowed down a bit in the last year.
We suspect that he is in his late teens now.
He doesn't stay out all night anymore,
preferring a little comfort.
And he has claimed a very coveted spot on the couch,
used for napping and viewing the outside world.
No other feline ever lays there.
Ever.



Obviously we don't have any idea 
what life was like for Gus before he found us.

But as long as he keeps putting nose 
and paw prints on the window....
I will happily clean them off!
~
I hope your week was great.
xo,
misha

I would love for you to read about the 
Feral Cat Program in Tennessee.
We have participated in this many times.
I hope your state has a similar program.
Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR)

41 comments:

www.farmhousestyleliving.blogspot.com said...

As always such a sweet post! I just love hearing about your kids! They are all so unique. You should write a book about them!

www.farmhousestyleliving.blogspot.com said...

As always such a sweet post! I just love hearing about your kids! They are all so unique. You should write a book about them!

Geri said...

What a great post Misha, and so nice to see your blog pop up on my newsfeed! Pete and I keep saying after these two are gone, no more cats. But.....I've always wanted an orange tabby like Gus....so who knows?

Bianca said...

A cat with character! Love him!
He looks a lot like my first cat. He was the feline-love of my life. He has been gone for over 12 years now, but I think of him often. Gus looks just like him! Maybe my golden boy reincarneted in to Gus to be with you!
And, you don't have dirty windows, that's Gus' body-art! My boys leave me nose art all over too and I love it!! He is very blessed to live with you there.

Melinda said...

So cute and funny.
Big Gus the patrol cat,
everyone should have one.

M : )



Lynne said...

You are a lover of your animals . . . and they lova' you!
I like your ten pound bundle of golden love . . .

Beth @ E. Lizard Breath Speaks said...

aww, Gus has such a wonderful quiet & relaxing life. so fun for him. i know he appreciate your kindness & love. ( :

Mary said...

I just love how kitty's follow you around when you are outside. Buddy became an outside cat after Freddy moved in, pretty much by his own choice, well, let's just say it was a mutual decision.... He never really acted like he wanted to come back inside. He would be so pleased though, whenever I came outside, many scrtches were had! I miss him terribly and am seriously thinking about acquiring another. I've always had a cat.
I love old barns too, I hope you may be able to venture out and explore a bit of it and share. Oh the stories it could tell!

So happy to read your blogs!

Cheryl Ann said...

He's adorable! We have a cat that we THINK is 19 years old. He was already a year old when we got him...in 1996! He's "trained" two of the German Shepherds we've had and he has outlived both of them..."Loki"...
~Cheryl Ann~

RoeH said...

I love him! Hank weights 18.5. People tell me I feed him too much but I tell back to them that I do not and he is just a big boned male cat. I wish people would stop the sermons. :)

Donna said...

Gus is precious!! I know he loves being spoiled as he goes about his duties.
I have kitty nose smears on my windows as well and that's ok with me too :)
Hugs
Donna

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a sweet post. Gus is so handsome.

Donna said...

I loved this little story of Gus! It's a good thing that he found you!

Jeanette said...

Love that story of Gus! He is a lucky guy to have found you!

Teresa said...

Misha, I follow your blog and really enjoy it. I have 13 fur babies two are indoor only and I have 11 outdoor feral kitties I did the TNR program here in North Alabama. That was a real blessing. I have tamed all but 2 of them. Gus is so lucky to have the love you give him!

Paula said...

I found your blog at another blog and enjoyed reading about Gus since I've always been a cat lover. Only have one very old cat who has had a hard time here in south Texas this winter. Her name is Susie.

LesleyAnn said...

I'm glad Gus found you. He's got a nice happy home to live out his life in a safe and content way. He's a beauty. My Granny always said "yellow" cats are the best cats to have around. Bless you for caring for him and all your other babies.

TexWisGirl said...

i love your big, sweet guard cat. hope all your critters and horses are well - and hope you are, too. :)

nice to see you, again!

Syed Kazim Ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donna said...

misha,
I am so sorry to read about Gus passing on to Heaven :( He was so blessed to have you and J in his life. I know he will be truly missed. Love you!
Hugs,
Donna

Bianca said...

Another empty space in your home. I'm so sorry for your loss.
The big flaw of pets is that they just die too soon! And the big space such a small animal can leave still suprises me.
I'm already dreading the death of my boys. Although they are 12 (Bram and Arie) and 10 (Cees and Dirk) I hope it will be a long time from now...
Big hugs for you and Jason. Sending love and good vibes. xxx

Jeanette said...

I'm sorry about your loss of Gus, Misha! He had a wonderful life with you and J. I know you will miss him! My daughter had to put her 8 year old kitty down a few weeks ago due to chronic kidney disease. It's heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet.

Lynne said...

So sad to see our animals die/go . . .
Gus needed family life with you . . . I am sure you are missing him.

Wonderful always to see you pop up on my screen.
Love and hugs Misha . . .
Lynne

Ahsan Afsar said...

World Most Popular and Top Amazing Speedy Cars
TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

Ali arif said...

for the best and latest facebook cover photos, mix fruit fb covers, entertainment covers, party covers, natural fb covers, all type of fb covers
www.uniquefbcovers.com

Ali arif said...

for the best and latest facebook cover photos, mix fruit fb covers, entertainment covers, party covers, natural fb covers, all type of fb covers
www.uniquefbcovers.com

Kamao Poot said...

Find best Home based Business without any work, just invest and rest with your profit
EarningsClub.com

Syed Kazim Ali said...

Online Business with hourly profit, Just Invest and Rest
AllTimeProfit.com

Kamao Poot said...

Get Hourly profit for 200 hours on every hour without any risk and without any work, best business plans ever
AllTimeProfit.com

hasnain raza said...

Online Corner is the best Platform to earn money online from internet, Just Join Now and start earnings
OnlineCornerz.com

hasnain raza said...

Get your website on google top 10 Results, Best Search Engine Optimization Company in Pakistan
Contact Now
Skype : Jobz.Corner
www.jobzcorner.com

hasnain raza said...

Business at home...??? want to join the best business without any work, just invest and rest
www.earningsclub.com

Mrs. Pedersen said...

So sweet.

ahmedraza moon said...

Get Facebook Likes on your fb page, likes on your facebook pictures, followers on your facebook id, shares of your facebook posts, every thing is available here, visit for more details
www.jobzcorner.com

adnan khan said...

Find Best online home based jobs, data entry, copy pasting, facebook and clicking jobs
JobzCorner.com

hasnain raza said...

Online Jobs, Just Post a Comment on any blog site and earn $0.06 per Link, Just Like this post, Visit and Click on Link Relation
JobzCorner.com

Syed Kazim Ali said...

Best Business Club of Earnings, Hourly Stable Plans Like 1% Hourly for 120 Hours, Total 120% Profit within 5 Days
EarningsClub.com

classesncamps said...

so cute post....so cute kittie...
kickboxing kicking techniques

hasnain raza said...

Play Games and Earn Money online from home, best add clicking website in the world
PaidVerts.com

Things to do in Los Angeles said...

You always come with the fresh posts.
kickboxing kicks techniques

ahmedraza moon said...

Earning is only for you, just spend 1 hour daily and earn upto $35 Daily with just clicking job, Join Now
adsclickearning.com