31 May 2013

Beautiful Boy




Henry Louis Granju
1991-2010

~ ~ ~
**This post was originally published on June 2, 2010.
It has been revised and links added on May 31, 2013**
~ ~ ~

Yesterday, I wrote a full post about someone I do not know 
and the crushing news they shared.

Katie Allison Granju.

I then decided not to "hit" publish and scrapped my post.
It just didn't seem like my news to share.
I am not a Mother.
I don't read the parenting books and blog posts
 that Ms. Granju has authored.

But I have been reading her personal blog for several years now.
Getting to *know* her family.

 Today I decided write about Henry along with 
thousands of others penning beautiful words of her son, Henry.
Henry's story is one that can be 
told by so many kids, and their loved ones, in our World today.

Henry was a great kid who went astray.
And then he met up with people who did a horrific thing to him.

Katie and her family have sat by his bedside for a month.
Waiting.
Waiting for him to recover.

And then Tuesday morning, 
as I was going about my day, mucking the horse stalls,
I heard the news on the radio.

Henry Louis Granju had died.

And I cried, as I worked.
I cried as I fed the horses their lunch.
And I cried as I groomed each one at the end of the day.

Raw is the only way I can describe the words
that Katie uses to fill her pages as she
writes about the loss of Henry.

And even though I don't personally know 
any of Henry's family, there is one thing I do know.
It is my story to share because I am a Human Being who cares.


Thousands of blogs have paid tribute to Henry.
Oh, how I wish Henry could have known how
 much love the world had for him.

How often is it that we see a story on the News or the Internet,
that makes us shake our heads in disbelief. 
Our hearts may hurt for a minute, 
thinking about what we just saw or read.
But what we sometimes forget is the
family that will be hurting forever.

Once in a while, there is story we read that just stays with us.
This is how I feel about the loss of Henry Granju.

Because, I am a Human Beings who cares.
And I know you are, too.......

Mercy, me.



In the 3 years since Henry's passing, I have come to know
several members of his family. 
His aunt, Betsy Allison Tant, also suffers from chronic illness.
She and I have become friends, because of Henry!

Please feel free to leave a comment.
I am sure the family of Henry would so appreciate this!

 Please visit Henry's Fund
and also on Facebook.

Henry’s Fund is a nonprofit fund which was created to provide meaningful assistance in paying addiction treatment costs for young people aged 12-20.


*Picture courtesy of biggoodthing.com

8 comments:

Geri said...

Simply beautiful Misha. What a lovely gesture, to repost what you originally wrote with added words of love and comfort. I know that Katie, Betsy, Sue and all of Henry's family and friends, in addition to those of us who have grown to know and love them through the interwebs, will be so touched by this.

Rural Revival said...

I could never forget this post or Henry's story. I went to Katie's blog to read his story where she recommened a book, Beautiful Boy by David Scheff. I was on the verge of becoming a mother to teenagers and this book gave me insight and perhaps guidance that I still carry with me as I now tread the waters of the teenage years.

The Bashful Nest said...

This is very touching and hits very close to home for me. So painful when these beautiful children lose their way. Sending a hug your way.

Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

Cheri Spivey said...

I know Henry must have been a very special young man. The love and legacy that he has left behind in his brief time here on earth. So many of us have grown to love Henry and His Family through his story. I am so grateful for the friendship I have with Betsy.

Lynne said...

Beautiful, caring, tender Misha . . . always so happy to see the "front porch" in my reader . . . love!

Anonymous said...

thank's terrific tip, you are better than samsung's designer !
!!

my blog post ... xerox phaser 8560 driver

Heart2Heart said...

I love your post even though it was originally written three years ago the feelings and memories are still just as new, especially even today when teenagers are running out of options in choosing how they will handle life.

May more of us find ways to reach out to teens that are hurting and offer them hope when the world it seems turns it back on them when they need it the most.

Thank you for bringing this attention back when it needs to be.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.