02 September 2012

~ A Huge Event in My Mother's Life Today~




When I was little my mom was home full-time with me.
My father traveled from Monday through Friday,
so it was just me and mom.
And at times, business trips took my dad away for much longer.
We did everything together.
As an only child, I relished my time with her.




 At Christmas time she 
worked for a local department store,
but that was just part time. 
I always knew it was just for a few weeks
and then she would be home again.
With me.

There when I left for school and home when I arrived
to tell her all about my day.
But as I got older, and being an only child,
I was pretty self-reliant.
My mom instilled good common-sense wisdom in little me!

When I turned 9, mom made the 
decision to enter the work force.
I think it only natural that my mother would want something
of her own.
Fulfillment of contributing,
fulfillment in the way of self-esteem.
Something of her own.

So when a position opened up for her for full-time work,
in a real estate office, close to our home, she grabbed it!
I remember being excited for her!
But somehow that excitement turned into 
little me feeling left out.
Children can be selfish in their ways,
whether they understand this or not.
And in my own little pea-brain,
I felt as if I was being left behind.



Her new position meant that I would come home,
with my own little house key, and have the house to myself
for less than an hour.
Now rather than you thinking I was being thrown into a
situation of having no supervision,
please no that certainly was not the case!

Between next door neighbors whose children I played with,
a Nana who was close by, an aunt Debbie who was always around,
I was never really alone.
And each day I had two chores to complete.
Unload the dishwasher and fold towels out of the dryer :)

Three days a week, I walked across the street from 
my elementary school to my dance school 
with a whole group of girlfriends!
Where I had been going since age 3.
~ ~ ~
But the first two weeks my mom worked at her 
new job, I took ill.
It wasn't a faked illness, but rather an illness of 
complete heartbreak that life was changing.
That September I missed the first two weeks of school.
My mom even wrestled with the idea of giving 
up her new job because of my disparity!

It took my mom and my 4Th grade teacher to 
convince me that life really hadn't changed.
And it didn't.
~ ~ ~
A few years later, we moved an hour north, to be closer to
my dad's home office.
My mother took a job that helped her advance her skills
in the working world.
She was always taking college classes, 
bettering herself in her career.
And by then I was in junior high, involved in every
after school program I could fit in!
But each day, by 5pm, my mom was home.

~  ~  ~

Almost 25 years ago, my mother accepted a position
with a company that would be her last.
It was a position that she grew leaps and bounds with.
A position that her main account was 
the worlds largest retailer in the U.S. and Canada.
Not an easy task by any means.
I can honestly say, I don't think I could have
held her position for all the aggravation it could entail at times!
She is a woman of grace, clarity, good manners,
and an even keel of dealing wonderfully in the most
difficult situations.


Four years ago when my Nana, who lived with my parents
 began to show signs of Alzheimer's, 
the stress my mother faced 
was incredible.
But I can tell you, no one she worked with would have known
what a challenge it was on some days for her
to be at her job, at her finest.


But that is the true spirit of my mother,
and her company and the people she dealt with on a daily basis
will truly miss her being able to make the impossible happen!



{The President of the company saying a few words
about my mom's service to the company!]

Because today, August 31, 2012, she retired.

Her company wanted to give her a luncheon,
but that just isn't her style.



She asked for nothing other than a cake and a card 
signed by everyone in the office and the plant!






My mom just wanted to quietly walk out of work today,
the same way she walked in 25 years ago.

She is a true Lady, through and through.
And I am blessed to have her be my mother.

Happy Retirement, Mom!
Next week begins the start of a whole new way of living!

I love you,
your Daughter.


I would so love it if you could all leave words of encouragement!
This is new territory my mom will be treading on!
A lot exciting..a little scary!

29 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

congratulations to your dear mom! what a great career! i hope she will find her new pace soon enough! :)

Becky said...

Enjoy your retirement, Gwen. When I first quit working I thought I was going to have all this time on my hands....but I am so busy now I wouldn't have time to work!!!

Marilyn said...

This is going to be a fabulous time in your mom's life!! She'll keep on learning and growing without the daily "work". All the best!!♥♫

Mitzi said...

May your Mom's happiest days be ahead of her. You are blessed to have each other.

Betsy Adams said...

What a fabulous tribute to your adorable Mom... I know how proud you are of her --and I love the love you two share....

Congrats to her. Are they moving to wonderful TN?

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Donna said...

Happy retirement to the gorgeous Mrs. Gwen! Now if she will move to TN you can go fly fishing with her :)
Hugs,
Donna

Rural Revival said...

Oh how wonderful!!! Happy Retirement Gwen, a well deserved time for you to pursue whatever your heart desires and I think fly fishing would be darn neat to try. Who knows maybe we can try it together sometime. : ) By the way, my mom was wary of retiring, but now after more than a year she truly enjoys it. Although I told her she wasn't allowed to tell me how busy she was...at least until I retire. Ha!

Misha being able to see the photos from today made me feel as if I was sharing in on her special day. Thank you sweet friend!

LYLAS!!
And hugs to you both, so wonderful!!
Andrea

Freda said...

I wish your Mother lots of luck in her retirement. I hope she catches lots of fish!!!!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Misha's Mom, you are beautiful.. just like your daughter! Congrats to you - quite an accomplishment. I know you will enjoy your retirement. And happy Fishing!
Misha, I loved the pictures and your account of the events. Remarkable ladies- both of you! -Tammy

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

I wish your mom many many years of learning new things and enjoyment in each and every day.

I think her biggest accomplishment was raising a wonderful daughter:-)

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

What a great day for you mama! I hope she fishes to her little heart's content for the next 25 years of life. She deserves it!

Mamabug said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom, she's an awesome lady! I know you're so proud of all she has accomplished. Congrats to your mom!

Laura said...

Happy Retirement, Misha's Mom! You'll find lots to keep you busy, but most of all find time to enjoy yourself!!

Mary said...

Cheers to your Mom! She sounds incredible. This is a wonderful day. I can only imagine how strange it will be at first. Very nice!

Lynne said...

Happy Retirement Gwen . . . Exciting fly fishing days ahead, i hope Misha shows us some photos . . .

I retired when I was sixty from my formal "work/career/job". Although . . . I have not retired from being around people and volunteer days here and there. I encourage this for you . . . It has kept me engaged in life, in community and in people which has kept me fed and in turn a chance to "feed."

Be well . . . continue to enjoy the zest of life!

Rain said...

Congrats Misha's mom-Gwen- on service well done! Now to your next service- yourself!! enjoy your full days ahead!!
Rain

Gaelyn said...

Your Mom is an inspiration, then and now. Such a beautiful woman, whom you definitely take after. I can see her soaring on to new endeavors in life. Change is always a little scary, but totally exciting.

rosedel said...

Congratulations on this new wonderful adventure. Have fun every day!

Jeanette said...

Happy retirement to your mom! I hope it's a long, healthy, happy one!! Will your parents be moving closer to you now?

Samantha said...

Happy retirement! Now, remember to share photos and stories of your mom's first catch!

Karen said...

The world is your oyster, Gwen! New horizons!... Congratulations on a job well done.

Deb said...

Happy Retirement Gwen. You will love it, my Mom retired last year and she never looked back. You will find plenty to stay busy. Have fun fishing!

Donna said...

She truly is a stunning woman! And congratulations on her retirement! She will LOVE it!!!

Aunt D said...

Hey Gwen, this is your sister :) Congratulations and welcome to the WWR (Wonderful World of Retirement). I am so very proud of you and all you have done and WILL do.....hopefully with me :) love you, Deb

Kayla @ TheEclecticElement said...

To Gwen,

Congratulations on your retirement! From this wonderful post your daughter has written about and to you, you are quite the strong, independent woman and this is truly deserved! :)

That cake is just the cutest thing and I'm very happy you were able to retire with such great memories!

Good luck in your fly fishing endeavors and anything else you choose to do :)

To Misha,

What a beautiful tribute to your mom on a very special occasion in her life! :)

She sounds like quite the strong and independent woman!

Melinda said...

Congratulations to your Mom!
Happy retirement to you.

Enjoy the new adventures that this brings.

You have a super daughter too.

M :)

Beth said...

Congrats to you!!! i know when both of my parents retired from the teaching field they have never looked back. they go where they want. when they want. travel. sleep in. eat out. act totally different. which makes me laugh so. they love it & you will too! you enjoy! big hugs to you both. xxoo (:

SusieD said...

I know your mother will have a wonderful retirement. Best of Luck to her and your father!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Gwen, congratulations on a bunch of years of making other people happy and doing your job so well they'll miss you forever! May the worst of your future, be from the best of your past.
Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm