14 August 2012

~ Along for the Ride ~


As J travels, he snaps pictures of things
he knows I would like to see in person.
Places that if we were on drive I would yell, "STOP!"

Yesterday he drove by this old store.
And then turned around to stop and capture these images.

Knowing that my favorite movie is
"Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe",
J couldn't help but be reminded of the cafe in that movie
by this old place.

The outside of this old store is full of 
rust, peeling paint, and kudzu..
and probably many memories for the 
residents who live in this tiny town.


I guess we know from the sign it was once the
"Princeton Grocery".
I wonder if this little store was 
the heartbeat of this little community?
Where children came to trade pennies for candy,
and locals swapped gossip.


Can't you just imagine the sound of the
screen door opening and closing with each customer!


The picture below to the left is what 
Juliette, Georgia looked like when the producers
of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes.."  found this little town.
It had once been a thriving, small community.
And a still shot from the movie to the right.


At the end of the film,
Ninny says to Evelyn Couch,
"It was never more than just a little knockabout place. But now that I look back on it, when that cafe closed the heart of the town stopped beating. It’s funny how a little place like this brought so many people together".

I have a feeling that the old 
"Princeton Grocery" did the same for the little
community it was a part of.

A few years ago I wrote about the movie and my visits
to Juliette, Georgia in this post.
I love that little place and hope to go back some day.
~ ~ ~ 
I love how J takes so many pictures for me during his day.
It is almost like being along for the ride
on his travels in these little, tiny towns 
of Alabama and Mississippi.

But truth be known, 
I would rather be sitting in the seat next to him...
yelling, "Stop!"

I hope you all have a wonderful day.
xo,
misha



14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i'm certain you are right - that it was the hub of the community for many years...

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Great photos today and how I love that movie! Could watch it over and over and over.. the little cafe indeed WAS the heart of the town as it is for so many small towns across America. In the town I grew up in it was called 'The Home Cafe' and that little place is still open to this very day. :-))

RoeH said...

I would have loved that.

Patricia said...

You know I "heard" the screen door slam shut while looking at your photo, before I even read your next line. Yep, I just love wooden screen doors, porches, and that movie. Take care.

Laura said...

That's so sweet that he does that. Just shows that you're always on his mind. :-)
Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my favorite movies!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

How sweet of your husband to stop and take pictures that he knows you will like. He sure did find a great one with the Princeton Grocery!

camp and cottage living said...

Misha
It does look like it could've been right out of the movie!
My g'ma had a little grocery store that we walked to every day when I would spend the summer with her and it truly was the heart of her town. It's long gone now, like so many of them.
Yes, I bet you'd like to sitting next to your love, for sure!

Donna said...

Love the movie too! How sweet that J "takes" you along for the ride. I love Fannie Flag and I have eaten at the original Whistle Stop Cafe in Irondale. The fried green tomatoes are delish!
Hugs
Donna

Lynne said...

I love that J is thinking of you and you are, (somewhat) along for the ride.

Loved the previous post too . . . I now need to see Fried Green Tomatoes again, thanks to you . . .

Betsy Adams said...

Well---I guess that's the next best thing IF you can't be with him, or him at home with you.... I love it how he takes pictures to share with you.... That is just so neat!!!!!

I loved Fried Green Tomatoes.
Hugs,
Betsy

Gaelyn said...

Also my favorite movie. What a sweetie that J for taking your favorite photos.

Deb said...

I love that movie. I remember going to a store like that when I was a kid. Maybe you can ride along with J sometime. That would be fun.

Kayla @ TheEclecticElement said...

I must say this post really made me smile :)

What a wonderful man that he stops and takes pictures of things he knows you'd like. That's true love right there!

Although I'd want to be in the car yelling 'STOP!' too ^.^

Rural Revival said...

Oh my what a sweet little place!

Oh how I dream of a Whistle Stop cafe nearby. : )

LYLAS!