20 May 2012

~ Waiting on the Wells Fargo Wagon ~



A week ago tonight,
our wireless internet router died.
Kaput.
No more.
Cease to exist.
I awoke Sunday morning to hear J on the phone.
I could tell it wasn't a social call.
Then I figured it was the "boss-man"
letting J know he needed to pack a bag
and head out for work.
Noooooo! I thought.
Then I heard J say,
"So we won't have internet service for a week?"
And I knew.
Goodness. Up to a week to wait for a new router.
I yelled from under the covers,
"That is unacceptable!"
~ ~ ~ 


When I was little,
my Aunt Debbie was often my babysitter.
Nine years apart in age we are.
{And you may know her from the comment section as "Aunt D"}
Although I am sure at times, she didn't
want to be stuck with me,
 it was downright fun and exciting for me!


One particular weekend my parents went out of town.
Aunt Debbie and her BFF,
also named Deb,
came to stay with me.
I was in heaven.
Me, the 8 year old, and the teenagers!!
I felt so cool when I got to hang with them!


These girls had something big planned for the weekend.
A party at my parent's home?
No.
Inviting boys over and bribing me not to tell?
No.


Both Aunt Debbie and Deb were active in
all the drama productions at their high school.
And they decided I was to attend the auditions for
"The Music Man",
of which they each already had parts!
Of course, my parents had no knowledge of this.




I was to try out for the part of
Amaryllis, one of Marion's piano students.
Could I act?
No.
Could I sing?
No.
Could I play the piano?
Nope!




I remember trying on every frilly, girlie dress in my closet.
They chose one that work for the audition.
They curled my waist-length hair and chose a 
big floppy bow for me to wear in it.
To make me look all the part of little girl in 1912.
And because they were not satisfied with my shoe
selection, we stopped at a Pay-Less shoe store
on the way to the audition.
I was the proud new owner of black-patent MaryJanes!


All threw this, I was memorizing my big lines for the audition.
"Can I have a drink of water?"
And Marion the Librarian corrects me,
"May I"
"May I have a drink of water?"


I had those lines down pat.
But the playing the piano part?
Um, no.
Of course, I didn't get the part.
But I did begin a long fascination with musicals. 


My parents, Nana and Papa, and I were all there
on opening night to see my 
Aunt Debbie perform in 
The Music Man!
And I knew every song because my mom had 
purchased the soundtrack for me!
~ ~ ~
And you are wondering...
What the heck does this have to do with 
our wireless router going kaput?




For years now,
whenever I am waiting on anything to delivered,
I have sung this song from The Music Man~


O-ho the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street,
Oh please let it be for me!
O-ho the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street,
I wish, I wish I knew what it could be!

All week long, in my quiet little world, I waited.

For the Wells Fargo Wagon,
disguised as a Big Brown Truck known as UPS,
to ramble down our one-lane road!
And finally, yesterday, it did.
A brand-new shiny wireless router was delivered.
Hooray!


I feel as if I am back in the land of the living!
Now take 1 minute and 23 seconds to watch
the clip from The Music Man
that I sang to the critters over and over again!
And see how adorable 
Ron Howard was as little child!   


Thanks to everyone who emailed this past week,
making sure I was OK.
I so appreciate it :)
I hope you all have a grand weekend!
xo,
misha

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

Great memory! No internet for a week would drive me crazy but then again, I probably would get a lot more done around here!

TexWisGirl said...

and whenever i get something i've been waiting for, i quote steve martin in 'the jerk': "the new phone book's here! the new phone book's here! i'm somebody now!"

:)

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

It's really really hard to wait on something you want or need badly. So glad that Wells Fargo man made it to your door. Where was it being shipped from that took it so long? I'd have gone a bit mad while waiting.

Donna said...

Welcome back to blogland! I just thought you were taking a l-o-n-g break!

Lynne said...

Happy you are all hooked up again. What a patient woman you are . . . I would be hollering HHEEELLPPPPP!

Country Dreaming said...

Good to know that all is wellin your neck of the mountains.

One week--wow--that would be tough.

Love, love, love this musical!

Have a super Sunday!

Melinda

Gaelyn said...

I love musicals, grew up listening to them. I can't sing or play any instrument but always tried out for the school musical productions. And never made it.

Pick a little, talk a little, cheep, cheep, cheep, pick a lot, talk a little more.

Glad you are back online. And a week is unacceptable.

Deb said...

We had a great music teacher in elementary school and did this same musical one year. I had forgotten the name of it until I watched the vidoe. There was another big number that we did too, 76 Trombones. Ron Howard was such a cutie.

I'm glad your Wells Fargo wagon brought you what you needed and your back in the land of the living. I think I would go crazy without internet for a week. Yikes!

I love my dogs said...

Misha, Music Man is one of my favorite movies of all time. I had a crush on Robert Preston. I, too, knew all the words to all the songs and use to sing the "Wells Fargo" song all the time. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

Donna said...

misha,
Love the story and oh what memories! Glad you got your computer up and going again. I just got my laptop back so I haven't been online much either. I have a new furbaby and he has kept me busy but I am glad he is alive!
Hugs,
Donna

Life is good! said...

the upside is that you got a new pair of mary jane shoes. what a cute post!

Joyce Ann said...

I have thought about taking the one week challenge to just close down for one week to all , internet, phone, facebook, pinterest, everything. I want to do it , but I don't think I can. Maybe if something went out like our router I could do it. It just makes me nuts to thing about turning off the computer, the Iphone,,,,,,