31 May 2012

~ Nesting, Feathered Friends, and Frisky Felines



{I don't really welcome Summer.
But, perhaps if I am nice about the whole "hot and humid" thing...
Mother Nature will let Autumn come early!}


Isn't this a beautiful scene?
Everything is so lush and green.
Of course, it also steamy and hot.
So the only venturing outside for me,
is take pictures for you!


Our Box Elder tree is my fave.
It reminds me of a huge umbrella,
providing shade over the front of our home and porch.
And in Autumn it puts on the most glorious show of color!
In the Winter, the black branches against the cold, 
stark sky give it an almost eerie feel.
Close to one hundred years old, this tree
it sure has seen it's share of families.
Human and birdie!

I can count 4 nests in it so far.
Kind of like a condominium for feathered friends,
each Mama and Papa bird family have their own
"branch area" in the tree!


J moved all the Hummingbird feeders
from the Rose of Sharon to the Box Elder.
I am sure the Hummingbirds are grateful.
Who wants a Mad Mama Mock bird 
dive-bombing you as you drink your daily energy!

Now, Mama and Pop Mockingbird have privacy
 for her impending brood!
They finished building the nest over the weekend
and I believe she has layed her eggs because
she rarely ventures out now. 

The kitties are still hanging out in the window.
Imagine how excited they will be when the
little eggs hatch and the "cheeping" begins.
Enough to drive them crazy as they listen 
to those tiny feathered miracles ask for food!




I collect bird cages and bird nests.
J has an eye for finding nests that are no longer occupied.
I have them in every bird cage along 
with little, faux eggs and a Mama bird,
all from Hobby Lobby.
{I could live at Hobby Lobby!}


If you find a nest that you want to display in your home,
just spray the nest generously with Lysol.
Then place the nest in a Ziploc bag for about 2 days.
This will take care of any little bugs hanging out
in the nest that you don't want to bring into your home.
I have never had a "buggy" nest using this method!



Of all the nests I have collected,
not one was a Hummingbird nest.
A few months ago, J found one!
{I told you he has an eye for spying nests!}


Look at this tiny, sweetheart nest!
It feels like soft paper strips, woven intricately in and out,
and it is lined with tiny leaves.
It even looks like Mama Hummingbird tied
a little bow at the top! 

Of course, our kitties love these nests.
But, I have each displayed in a place where
the felines can't get their grimy little paws on them!


Except the time Brutus decided that 
he had to have that fake birdie!
He climbed onto a rocking chair,
 somehow opened the latch on the bird cage, 
and claimed the birdie, the nest, and the little eggs as his.
Oy.
It was a mess!

But, it was apparent that 
the Jelly-Belly Klepto Cat had a blast
 de-feathering the fake bird,
tearing the nest apart, and
playing soccer with the mini eggs!
In the end, all that matters is that he had fun!


I hope your week has been great.
Mine has been quite rocky.
I guess that is to be expected.
So I have been focusing on things that give me joy!
So leave a comment, 
and know that I am smiling as I read it :)
As always, thank you for coming by my front porch!
xo,
misha


19 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i like your little nests (even if brutus does, too!) so cute. your yard does look lush and beautiful.

Julie Harward said...

Looks like the Garden of Eden there, such beautiful pictures of the tree and all. I love nests too, and always feel it is a treasure when I find one. Great idea about the Lysol! Love all the cages too! :)

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Misha, I'm like you.. I don't like the heat and humidity of summer. BUT--right now when our lilies, daylilies and roses are all blooming and SO pretty, I can't complain too much about this time of year!!!!

Love your pictures and your little bird's nests... Awesome!!!!

Glad to hear from you.. I think about you often and pray for you and your health... God Bless.
Hugs,
Betsy

I love my dogs said...

Know what you mean about summer. It does tend to sap the energy right out of you. Speaking as one who use to love to sit in the sun and bake for hours, I now can hardly stand to be outdoors when it is hot. Love your nests. I would love to find a hummingbird nest.

Donna said...

Love the outside pics of the gorgeous trees and the feeders in the yard. I like to collect birds nest also. Brutus is so funny!
I can't stand the heat and humidity either with my lungs :( It is cooler here this weekend! Good to see a post! You are in my prayers!
As you can see I am not sleeping :(
Hugs,
Donna

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

I too am waiting for October to arrive. Summer is all the same color of green. I prefer the greens of spring and the golds and oranges of autumn. I do like the chirping bird sounds though!

Karen said...

Love that big ole tree!.... and your bird cage collection, just another charming feature over there on the mountain.

I hope the weekend finds you feeling better and able to enjoy more of those glorious grounds.

Anke said...

Your garden looks so lush and beautiful! I really like your birdcages and nests. We have a few tiny little nests with some eggs laying around, but so far I have not added a birdcage. Something I will have to remedy after seeing your pretty ones. :-)Have a great weekend!

Beth said...

our hummingbirds have shown up here. i love them ... so fun to watch. love your header shots. i do believe summer is here early. the humidity is nuts this year. i think i say that every year though. i don't ever remember it being like this when i was a kid. we never had AC when i was a kid. just the attic fan & other fans sitting around. i'm spoiled now with our AC in the house. enjoy your weekend. big hugs. (:

Lynne said...

Loved seeing a bit of your heaven . . . what a treasure J found . . . I collect bird nests but have never found a hummingbird nest . . . loved this and even more special . . . it was from you!

Jeanette said...

Love this post, Misha! I can see why you collect nests! So precious! I would love to find a hummingbird nest!!

Donna said...

I adore all the little nests! We have a nest inside the bird bottle, hung on the porch. I know the babies have hatched, but I haven't conjured up the patience to sit out on the porch and try to get some photos of momma bringing snacks to the babies.

Joyce Ann said...

That little hummingbird nest is adorable. Such a perfect heart shape. I love the picture of the cats at the window (and I don't really click with cats!)

Deb said...

Everything is so green and pretty there! The bird nests and cages are adorable, I can see why Brutus couldn't resist. Loving the new header, what a beautiful area you live in!! Just gorgeous.

Country Dreaming said...

Misha--
I love the bird stories and Brutus is just too funny also!

Take care my friend!
Hope you can enjoy the weekend.

Melinda

Gaelyn said...

I Love summer and could see lying in a hammock under that glorious shady box elder tree. Also like your bird cage and nest collection. Can't blame the cat for doing what comes naturally.

Take care of yourself and enjoy the weekend.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Love the little hummingbird nest. I've never seen one. In fact this is the first year that I have had a lot of hummingbirds in my yard.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Misha, my sister and I are big Hobby Lobby fans. Did you know the owners of Hobby Lobby bailed out that Oklahoma Christian college...dang, can't remember the name but the college was being run into the ground by the President's son. Anyway, Hobby Lobby put $50million into the coffers and bailed them out on condition the son moved out/on.
LOVE Hobby Lobby folks!

RoeH said...

I'd like to live somewhere where I can enjoy summer again instead of dreading it as I do here. Because reading a book in a hammock in the shadow of a big tree is wonderful.