25 August 2011

~The Rainbow Bridge~ The End of an Era




I see Maverick :)


Over the weekend, J and I made a tough decision.
It was time for Lucy to venture on to Kitty Heaven.
Lucy has been a part of my life for long time.
She came to me in the Fall of 1993 when
I was living in north Georgia.

It was a very early Sunday morning and I was sweeping off the porch.
She just appeared in the front yard, out of nowhere!
So into my little family she came.
She was welcomed by Maverick {just click},
and his only feline friend, Presley.

Presley came along a year before Lucy.
called me one day to say she was sure a kitten was trapped
in a dumpster.
Yancey was staying with me at the time, and she had taken
her motorcycle {yep, she road a bike!}
into the mechanic.
While waiting she could hear the faint sound of a kitten mewing.
I brought along a ladder so we get ourselves into the enormous dumpster.
In the hot, summer, Georgia heat we waded through a mountain
grossness! I can still remember the smells...ugh
Yancey and I plowed through every piece of trash until we finally
found a tiny kitten.
Solid black, with her eyes still closed...
She was a newborn.
Off to the vets we went.
Upon leaving we were armed with milk supplement, a tiny nursing bottle,
and other vitamins for this
oh-so-tiny babe.

Each day I took Presley to work.
When you work for a horse farm no one questions
a rescue animal being brought along to nurture during the day!
Everyone is an animal lover.
Presley stayed in a little basket each day,
snuggled in a blankie with a hot water bottle at the bottom
to keep her warm.
The other employees actually used a sign-up sheet,
so they could take turns bottle feeding her :)
Presley was a popular little bug!

Of course, Maverick and Lucy fell in love with her.
The Three Musketeers!
Maverick was the devious, playful one,
but also would love on her since she had no mommy.
Lucy was happy to have a full-fledged kitten in the house!

Over the years the three bonded in their own little family way.
And we moved. We moved. We moved.
As long as they had each other,
the World was right.
Always cuddling and sleeping together in their big wicker bed,
these three were never far apart.



And then something very strange and unusual~
When Maverick died in 2008,
neither Presley or Lucy ever got back in that
wicker bed just
They refused.
We bought a small plush bed for the two of them.
They took to it right away.
But almost a year to the day after Maverick left us,
the girls began using the wicker bed again.
I guess it sat empty while they went through their
own period of mourning....

And now I have my period of mourning.
After J and I made our decision over the weekend, about Lucy,
I knew it was right.
I felt at peace with it.
Lucy was having many *old age* issues.
She wasn't enjoying her life anymore.
It was time....
And a blessing to be able to make this decision for her.

But, still.
Presley would be the last of three.
An end of a era for me, as a single girl
who carted around three cats from state to state.

Animals have a great sense of the impending.
A sixth sense about people and one another.
I do believe that somewhere deep within Presley
she must have felt the change that was rolling toward all of us.

In the middle of the night, Presley died.
Yesterday, Lucy also crossed over the
Rainbow Bridge.

So, not far from Maverick, J laid to rest
Presley and Lucy.
In my little my mind,
I just know that Maverick was waiting for his sisters.

At the gate he sat.
And when he saw them,
he gave a big Siamese yowl!
The three of them together again....

Hug your furry loved ones tonight.
For they are family.

Thank you so much for your sweet words about my boy, Mav.
I wanted to share the Maverick story before I wrote about
Presley and Lucy.
I heart each and every one of you :)
xo,
  misha

If you missed the story of Maverick
it's the one before this.







34 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh my goodness... to lose two within a day of each other. i'm truly sorry, misha. but that they are together forever is a comfort too...

Laura said...

This was a really touching post, thank you for sharing your joy and your loss. I know they will be missed but what a blessing they were.

Lucy aka Roeann said...

These stories like this just bring me to tears. I'm still not quite over that little kitten of a couple of months ago that had such a rotten start to life. I cried for a week over him and still can. My personal belief system is that we will be together with our animals again after this life. And boy -- it better be true. That Rainbow Bridge poem just does it to me. So sad for you tonight.

Thanks you for your kindness to all those four legged little people. And big ones.

Joyce Ann said...

Oh, the three of them will be together waiting for you. I firmly believe there is a heaven and heaven in my mind is what you need it to be. So I know Tupelo is there waiting for us and one day I will be able to introduce him to Izzie.

Sydney said...

Awww Misha I am so sorry all your kitties are gone (but Jam the money theif!) I hope your other animals can comfort you.

Lynne said...

Oh my
TEARS
Yet
I
Can't
Help
Trusting
They
Are
Together
Three Muscateers

Red Gate Farm said...

These have been difficult days I'm sure... I suppose Presley didn't want to be left behind with her cat family... I do love the thought that Maverick was waiting for them both...

~Chris

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh Misha... sending big hugs. I adored reading about Maverick, and now to see that Presley and Lucy have joined him.. I am heartbroken for you. But happy for them to be reunited. Your happy little cat family shall snuggle together again. Hugs, and tears.. right along with ya ;) They truly ARE family! -Tammy

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Oh Misha, I'm so sorry... It's hard to lose one special baby --but to lose 2 at almost the same time must be very hard...

BUT--all 3 little friends are definitely together now in Kitty Heaven...

God Bless You, Misha.
Hugs,
Betsy

Samantha said...

Huge hugs...losing them so close, I just can't imagine.

Snappy Di said...

It's never easy to let them go to that Rainbow Bridge... I'll bet Lucy just a purring up there though and appreciates that you let her go.

SO sorry for your loss, Misha. :-(

The White Farmhouse said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You write so beautifully though. Your tributes are so thoughtful and well written. A big hug to you. I love the Rainbow Bridge story too. I had a cat once. I named him Michial after my dad. My dad found him and gave him to me. His mother had been killed and he was still nursing when my dad found him. I used to take him to work with me and keep him all snuggled up in my bottom drawer so I could feed him. I think he thought I was his mother. I loved that cat. It is always sad to lose a furry friend too.

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage said...

Oh Misha I'm so sorry to read this. I can't imagine loosing two family members so close to each other. I guess in a way it was a blessing as poor Presley would have been terribly lonely without Lucy. You made the best decision for Lucy. Hugs to you my friend...I'll be thinking of you.
Maura X

Julie Harward said...

Sending you big long hugs...this is a tough one, the only good thing is they are together. Animals are such a gift from God, they teach us how to love and serve and be a friend. Life is just not long enough to have all the animals I want to have. :D

Feral Female said...

How difficult that must have been. *Hugs*

Hartwood Roses said...

What a weekend you had! I loved reading the story of Maverick, with love pouring from every word ... now Presley AND Lucy? I can't imagine. I love the thought that your little cat family is together again, where they belong.

I'm sending you a big hug this morning, and a kiss on the head, and all the love that this broadband connection of mine can manage. You sure are good people, Miss Misha.

Jeanette said...

I'm so sorry Misha. That was a sweet tribute to your precious cats. I know you will miss them but they had a wonderful life with you.

Anke said...

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to both of your furry babies. You must miss them so, but I hope all the happy memories will ease the pain a little bit.

Freda said...

Sorry about Presley and Lucy Misha. We have a little silver toy poodle named Grayson waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge.

Deb said...

So sorry about your babies. What a week you have had. Take comfort knowing they are all together now.

Aunt D said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy & Presley. You had such wonderful stories about their personalities - all so different. I remember you said Lucy was like Natalie from "The Facts of Life" and that Presley could be a little snooty, while Maverick was like the patriarch of all of them. I'll miss them too. with love

Country Dreaming said...

Glad you liked the apron.
You think I need to do one for a
giveaway huh???
Maybe I just will. :)
Yes, the reunion is this Saturday.

Melinda

Donna said...

Bless You! They are all in Heaven together and looking down on us. Our pets are like our children. Our Julie Jane (kitty) was 16 years old and watched over Amber like a mother hen. I can't imagine not having pets.
Hugs,
Donna

Donna said...

I am so very sorry for the heartbreak you are feeling now. Thank you for pouring out your heart and sharing the story of how these sweet animals found you and the bond they shared. I am sure that they matched the love you have for them 10- fold in return.

Rural Revival said...

Oh Misha...this is too much. We certainly have had our share this year haven't we? All we can do is take comfort in the fact that they are all together.

It must seem so empty without them. Big big hugs to you and J.

LYLAS
Andrea

ain't for city gals said...

Misha, though hard I know you made the right decision. We waited a little too long for our Butterball and finally our kind hearted vet said it is not about you anymore it is about sweet Butterball...we just could hardly stant to let her go. We can only give them all the love we can while we have them...and you go way beyond on that part...xoxoxo

Amy said...

Oh my heavens Misha, I´m already in an emotional funk and reading this beautiful story broke my heart! Our animal family do sense things, they do mourn, their hearts break also and poor little Presley couldn´t imagine a life without her kitty family...ugh..I´m in tears writing this so I can´t write much but thank you for sharing this sweet story and I´m sending you big big warm hugs from Norway...one for the loss of each of your beautiful furry family members and one for you, just because you are you :-)))

(GBS) NewsFromTheHill said...

I'm so sorry that you've had such losses this week. How hard to lose them both. I hope that the empty spots in your heart are soon soothed by memories of your sweet kitties.
And yes, I too believe that one day we'll see our beloved pets again.

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Dear Misha,
I am so so sorry for your loss. I understand the furr family and end of an era thing both... These three sure were special. For sure they are together and happy now. I hope you are doing okay.
I am also so sorry to have been out of touch!!! I have much to write you but too little time... School starts in a few days and I'm looking forward to the farm clearing out a bit and me getting to *my* projects and FRIENDS. I am eager to share more with you my new friend!
(((hugs)))
Leslie

Cindy said...

Sending you hugs and condolences. I am sorry for your loss. It is a hard decision, but it is for the best. Just know they are happy, healthy and running around with old and new friends!

Colleen said...

I have tears in my eyes! We have three cats that adopted us. Two were grown and one a 4 week old tiny kitten that just showed up. The older ones have been with us for 4 & 5 years, the kitten is about 17 months old. I love each of them and hope to have many more years with them. I am so sorry for your loss.

Vickie said...

Misha, so sorry to hear about your kitties. I feel sure Presley knew. Now they are all together... so sad, but hopefully you'll find comfort in knowing about their love for each other. Sending a big hug your way...

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Misha, I am so sorry. It's never easy saying good-bye but I'd rather have the hurt of knowing we'll be re-united in heaven than the hurt of never having loved.
Looking forward to meeting you and J in heaven...but a l.o.n.g. time from now -LOL-.
xoxo
Sandra

Heaven's Walk said...

I was a puddle of tears after reading your post, Misha. A complete mess. I knew exactly what you were feeling, the questions and decisions weaving themselves around your heart, and the sadness and pain that gripped your soul. I am so very very sorry. But I do believe that your babes are playing a field of flowers with my sweet little lion king. ♥ Love to you ~~ laurie