04 July 2011

~A Room with a View~


Nana and I spent a brilliant day together.
On my way to visit with her,
I stopped and got us each one of these~


McCafé Mocha Frappé


Good Golly Miss Molly!
Happiness in a cup for 3 bucks!

When I walked into her apt.
she gave me the biggest smile!
We exchanged hugs and smooches.
And then got down to business
slurping our Frappe's.
And reading magazines and all the latest news!
We called my Mom in Ohio
so they could have a nice chat.

Isn't she beautiful...

The change in my grandmother is
unbelievable.
It is as if this move to
River Oaks
has taken her back a ways.
To when her memory was better!
And her depression has lifted.
Although she was living at a
wonderful place in Ohio,
I just don't believe it was the
*right fit*

But, her new home?
This place full of wonderful caring people.
This room with a view
has given my Nana
a little reprieve from the insidious disease
that began invading her precious mind
a few years ago.
(you can read this past post here-alzheimers has touched my family)

Her room is sunny and the view spectacular!

We watched all the boats making their way
down the river
using Nana's binoculars!
And watched the traffic crawl
down the main street.

We shared what each of us had been doing.
Me?
Not a lot!
Nana?
What a social life!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
A visit to a horse farm!(be still my heart!)
Morning Devotions!
Moon Pies and RC Cola Socials!
Watermelon Socials!
Bingo!
Mystery Movies
Banana Split Socials!
Cooking Class!
Cookie Decorating!
Trips to the local ice cream parlor!
and on and on...
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And Nana has made friends
with the other sweet ladies
who make their home at
River Oaks.


And the staff absolutely adores her.
One of Nana's fave staff members
at River Oaks,
filled me in on a little scenario.

Nana loves the giant screen TV that is
located on the second floor.
Each evening after activities are finished
for the day, Nana will ask to go down stairs
to watch the watch the giant TV.
So one of the staff members takes her on
an elevator ride.

And lately Nana has begun hosting her own
little Pajama Parties.
She hijacks the other ladies from her floor,
and they all ride the elevator down, in giggles,
to the second floor.
With everyone cozy in pajamas and robes,
they eat popcorn and watch old
Black and White movies!
So Nana has begun hosting her own
Late Evening Activity!
Pajama Party Social!

And each night before Nana turns into bed~
She comes out of her apt.
to tell the ladies of the staff
*Goodnight*
And then gives each one a kiss and a hug.....


I wish it was me she was telling her Goodnight.
Like all those years ago when I was a Little Girl.
And I would spend countless nights
at my Nana's house on Metcalf Street.

But, it's not.
So I am grateful to the ladies of the staff,
who let Nana hug on them, love on them,
and they love on her.

And when she is drifting off to dreamland
she knows she is
safe, cared for, is living with great dignity,
respected, and loved.


I thank them.
From the bottom of
my little heart.


I hope you are having a wonderful day.
And that you are safe and well loved.
I am !
Happy Birthday, America!
xo,
  misha

26 comments:

Rural Revival said...

You did it! You have a picture of yours and Nana's hands. A treasure my dear!!

What a beautiful post. You and your Nana are so blessed to have each other. And it makes me so happy to hear how well she is doing in her new digs. JOY!!!

Oh how I would love to attend one of Nana's pyjama parties!


Happy 4th of July sweet sister friend. You ARE loved! : )

LYLASS!!!
Andrea
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Rural Revival said...

Me again...I am loving the new look to your digs and the photos...especially that one of you...beautiful!

Ann On and On... said...

That was so beautiful! Each day..each moment is a gift...thanks for sharing the present with us.

Happy 4th of July!

texwisgirl said...

oh this is so sweet. i am SO glad this move has been so good for your grandma. may God bless those wonderful workers that give her a home...

Joyce Ann said...

Oh what a beautiful picture of your hands, so lovely.

Deb said...

This is such a nice post. My mother in law is also living with this disease but she is still happy and funny and such a delight to visit. I love the last photo. So pretty. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x4

Patricia said...

What wonderful "hands" photos. How blessed to have such a loving place for her to enjoy. Take care.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Misha, "...the right match..." isn't that the way with so much of life? When it's the right match, everything is better. So glad you and Nana had a wonderful day; happy 4th to you all.

Jeanette said...

What a beautiful post and I am so happy that your Nana is doing so well. It warms my heart when I hear of wonderful care places for our elderly! Lucky her and lucky you for having her close again. Have a wonderful week, Misha!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

What a sweet, sweet blog post, Misha. You should publish this one.. You are such a good writer.

I'm so glad that Nana is doing well in her new home, and that you are close enough to visit her. God Bless her sweet little heart. My mother-in-law (who died recently) had the beginnings of Alzheimers. So Sad---but she is at peace now. God Rest her soul.

Hope you and the family have a beautiful 4th.
Hugs,
Betsy

Flat Creek Farm said...

I'm so glad I stopped by for a visit, Misha, because I really needed a smile today. And your entire post made me smile. Oh, the sweetness! Love the photos, your new header, and wow... your Nana's social life is aMazing! My mom just retired from activities department at a local nursing home. I always said she had the best job ever! Funnel cake-making, field trips, music programs, and games galore! I truly need to change my vocation, so I can "play" everyday ;) Give Nana a hug! -Tammy

hron said...

A beautiful story that was written beautifully. Thanks for sharing!

jane augenstein said...

Misha,
Oh, what a wonderful post!! Your Nana is so beautiful; what a wonderful caring granddaughter you are!!! Such beautiful pictures of a beautiful place. You know, I have never tried one of McDonalds McCafe' Mocha Frappe'....OH MY it looks soooo yummy! On my next trip to town I am gonna get one for sure!
Happy 4th!!!
XO
hug Annie for me
Jane

Hartwood Roses said...

What a wonderful place for Nana to live!!! A place where she is cared for, and loved, with friends and stimulation and tons of things to do. It is such a blessing for her!

Joycee said...

Beautiful, all of it! The pictures, the words, the heartfelt moments that your Nana is now sharing with the other ladies. They are bonding like family because at this stage they are losing so much...sometimes memories, sometimes family. My Mom too, millions of others facing this most difficult time in their lives that with just a little help from family and facilities can be an exciting journey. If we plan and if we try our whole life can be something to want to wake up for each morning. Sweet dreams Nana, we love that you are still living everyday of your life!

Donna said...

This post made me cry with joy! Your Nana is having the time of her life here in beautiful east TN.

rharper said...

In many many ways, she is a very lucky grandmother to have such a grand-daughter. Many are forgotten.

Snappy Di said...

What special hours you are spending with her. Just a change in location can make such a great difference for some of us. So glad your Nana is happy there, it certainly shows in her face... or is it because she now gets to see her favorite granddaughter so much more often? :-)

Di

Deb said...

So many things about this post make me happy. The pictures of you and Nana holding hands, the gorgeous view she has from her apartment, the caring staff, the fact that she is thriving in her new environment, the planned social events and especially the Pajama Party socials that she hosts. It sounds like she is the life of the party. So glad she is enjoying the new place so much.

Is that a picture of you when you were younger? Adorable!

ain't for city gals said...

This makes my heart happy!

The White Farmhouse said...

I am so glad that your grandmother is doing much better! great post! Do they have a waiting list? I want to move in there! Love her view!

Country Dreaming said...

Super post but I will tell you I did have a moment there when I teared up.
Glad Nana is doing so well!

Melinda

Amy said...

Beautiful post Misha, love the effects on the photos! Sounds like your Nana has a lovely place to live and I LOOOOOVE how she has pyjama parties!!! So cute! I also was so touched how she gives the staff hugs goodnight...that is so sweet!! I always miss my grandma when you write about your beloved Nana...

Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July!! Big big hugs from me in Norway :-))

Karen said...

What a great place, love the view your grandmother has!... lovely pics...

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage said...

Misha I think this is my favorite post. I can feel the love you have for your Nana and it touches my heart. I wish my Nana would have lived in such a happy fun and loving place such as River Oaks. I LOVE the photo of your hand and your Nana's...what a special keepsake. I have to say though...that you made me crave one of those frappe thingy's in fact my mouth is still watering! It must warm your heart to hear about your Nana's adventures and to know that she's happy and secure. What a view!!! My gosh I can't believe how beautiful it is looking out her window...mountains, water, town, traffic...it's entertainment at it's best. Speaking of entertainment...they sure keep the ladies busy don't they!! Thank you so much for sharing your Nana with us...I'm sure it makes each and every one of us smile.
Maura :)

Kristeen said...

Misha -- the love flows through this post and so I know she will always feel your love for her even later later -- when te deep changes happens -- my mother inlaw had alzheimer's for 7 seven years before she pass away last DEC 2010 -- God bless you both.. such a sweet post -- thanks..