23 July 2011

~Just like Beezus and Ramona~


I was a tag-a-long as a little kid.
Not to an older brother or sister since I am an only child,
but to an aunt.
My aunt Debbie, who is my Mom's little sissy.

Although I always thought it was pretty cool to have
an Aunt who was so close in age to me....
I am sure, that at times for Debbie, it was a lot like
Beezus and Ramona!



I thought it was pretty darn cool that I got to hang
out with Debbie and her friends.
To zip around with her in my Nana and Papa's little VW Bug!
To have her spend nights with me when my parents would travel!
And each year when my parents and I went
on vacation, she always got to come along!  
 I had big ears and had to make a lot of promises of,
"I swear I won't tell my Mom or Nana!"

When I was ten, Debbie embarked on her life-long career.
She and her best friend each passed the Civil Service Exam 
given by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
And off to Washington, D.C. they went.....

My heart was broken.


That summer, my parents and I took a trip to D.C.
I got to see Debbie's "grown-up" apartment.
Meet her new friends.
And see the big impressive Federal building where she worked.
My heart mended a little on that trip.


Years have flown by.
While working for the FBI, Debbie moved to south Florida, 
 became wonderful friends with a federal agent....
and they fell in love.


In my horsey career I moved to south Florida,
just an hour from her!


And eventually, as you know the story,
my Aunt and Uncle moved to North Carolina.
And J and I here, to Tennessee!
Next year, my parents will begin making their home
here in the mountains also.
Heck, even Nana has made it here!



Finally, after a lot of years,
our family will be within
driving distance of one another.
And maybe we will get a little
VW Bug to cruise around in!


I am a little better at keeping secrets these days.
But, not this one!
For today is my Aunt Debbie's Birthday!
And I love her more than she will ever know...



I love you to the moon and back!
me



p.s. It was me who told Mom and Nana,
that you backed down an entrance ramp on the
interstate.
Hey, I was only 8 years old!
It was probably the most exciting thing that
had happened in my little life up until then :)

21 comments:

Jeanette said...

How sweet! Happy birthday to your Aunt Debbie! I had a older cousin that was like a sister to me because I didn't have any sisters. I'm sure she was patient with me hanging around with her!

texwisgirl said...

oh, you cracked me up! what a sweet aunt debbie you have there. :)

Lynne said...

I soooooo enjoy reading about you and your family.

It inspires me . . . telling "our stories" is something you have encouraged me to do. and I am planning . . .

Thank you for your transparency. It is endearing.

Happy Birthday Aunt Debbie!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday to your Aunt Debbie! I had two older sisters who weren't so fond of letting me tag along...except for once in a great while and, oh! how special I felt!

Ann On and On... said...

You have a special way of sharing your thoughts and memories. Happy Birthday to your Auntie.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

Snappy Di said...

What a wonderful story. Happy Birthday to your Aunt Debbie!!

DI

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Isn't it neat to have someone so special in your life like Aunt Debbie??? Love this post, Misha--and Happy Birthday to Debbie.
Hugs,
Betsy

Flat Creek Farm said...

What a fun post - Happy Birthday, Debbie!! -Tammy

Richard said...

Greetings from the Amish community of Lebanon,Pa. Richard from Amish Stories

Jeni said...

Happy Birthday to your Aunt, and I'm so happy for you that your family will be close together again.

Linda said...

What a lovely way to say Happy Birthday to your aunt!

Aunt D said...

I think the most exciting thing that happened to us was when the rear wheel of the vw fell off in the middle of the street as we were racing to get home. Sparks flying as the metal scraped the road and all 3 of us screaming until I got the VW pulled over and stopped. Pretty exciting. We've got to get together and do some fun stuff again! Thank you for the Happy Birthdays - I love it :)

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

I forgot all about the wheel coming off! LOL!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

What a great post! I'm glad you'll all to be together (close enough). Enjoy!

Deb said...

Happy Birthday to your Aunt Debbie. What an interesting career she must have had. I'm glad that all of you will be within driving distance soon. Loved the story of when you were young. Happy Sunday!

Donna said...

Happy Birthday to your Aunt Debbie! Loved th post :)
Hugs,
Donna

Rural Revival said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Debbie! You must have been a good influence because look at her now! : )

Misha, my Aunt is only 11 years old than me so I completely understand how cool it is to have an Aunt so close in age. She knew what music was cool and loved to buy me tops!
: )

ain't for city gals said...

I hope the light of my life..my niece Sarah ..feels the same way about me as you feel about Aunt Debbie! I had a PINK VW as my first car and of course I loved it...always have wanted another one..

Sheryl and Denny said...

That is a sweet post Misha, I can relate to no having your family around. I lived away from mine for years. Im back home closer to all of them and theres nothing greater than having family close. Happy Birthday to your Aunt. Have a good week. Sheryl

Joycee said...

Family is what it's all about, you know that already! Our oldest daughter and family just moved here last summer, life is so much better now! Happy Birthday Aunt Debbie, one cool Aunt!

Hartwood Roses said...

Having your family close by will be such a wonderful thing! I'm an Army Brat, and we never lived near any relatives. We were a very close nuclear unit, with no real ties to any extended family. Now, my parents, my brother and my sister, and my husband's brother and mother all live within 45 minutes of us, and we finally have our extended family. It is wonderful that my kids know their aunts and uncles and cousins, and know their grandparents so well ... something I never had.

I'm glad that all of your loved ones will be together again. The thought of it makes me smile.