02 May 2011

~A little lucky, a whole lot grateful, and a bunch blessed~ as it continues...

we use our "old-fashioned" whenever we lose power.
and that happens a lot here in the mountains!

It was like Deja Vu.

In 2004,
while still living in south Florida,
 we spent a night waiting for
Hurricane Frances
 to pass over us.

{We were blessed to stay with a friend
whose home had
"Hurricane Proof" roofing and siding $$$}

We huddled around a battery operated radio,
and a Coleman light for hours and hours.
Zeke slept through the
whole ordeal on a lawn chair!
He was two years old at the time.
{baby girl and sadie louise would come to us in Tn!}
Along with many other Floridians,
we lost our home.


Last Wednesday around 4pm,
our Deja Vu began.
It ended at at 2am.
We made two trips to our basement.
With 3 pups.
and 4 cat carriers!
How fortunate we are to have a basement
in this old cottage farmhouse!


Mother Nature is strange.
How is it possible that our home suffered
no damage?



Our two very old barns did not lose one piece of siding!
The barn where Annie and her family live
was perfectly intact after the storms passed!
Yes, the loss of big, old, grand trees is sad.
But, this is nothing,
compared to the loss of homes and loved ones
so many suffered from
Mother Nature's wrath.



*For east Tennessee*
~79 active Tornadoes swirled above east Tn.
~20 made direct landfall
~2 hit our county
~1 being directly overhead with a
speed of 120 miles
and a path length of 8 miles
34 deaths in east Tn.

I can honestly say that I would rather go through a
Hurricane than a Tornado.
We had 4 days notice that *Frances* was coming!
Time to pack up precious things.
Time to gather important papers.
Time to head somewhere safe to
wait out the impending wrath!


Over the past few days,
the sound of chain saws is ever present.
Fallen trees are everywhere.
Wherever we drive, are picking
up the pieces of their lives.
Literally.





 J has found so much trash littering our property.
But, a few things are not trash.
Someones photo album ended up in our trees!
These are just two pictures from it.
A young guy, around 18 or 19 being goofy!
The other picture is of a beautiful young women;
perhaps a high school
yearbook pic from the 1970's.

And a cancelled check with an address
from a tiny town in Georgia,
which is right right over the Tennessee line!
I searched online for the check owner and have found her!
I wonder though~
Did her home survive?
Did she survive?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We have felt quite somber these past few days.
Events like this make us grateful, don't they?
And events like this are forgotten quickly
as the news moves on to things more current.

Each time I view the beautiful,
old trees laying on the ground
instead of magnificently standing tall,
I think of those across the southeast of
our beautiful country, who lost so much.

Each time I think of all the food we lost in our
fridge and freezer, I am quite miffed!
I have to remind myself it could have been so much worse.
~
Each time we lose power, {yet again!}
because crews are still working on the lines,
and I get miffed~
I have to remember all those who lost loved ones
and beloved pets....
~
Please don't forget those who are suffering.
Even though it feels like *old news*
in this fast-paced social media society we have become,
it is still new, fresh, devastating,
and very painful to those who have lost so much.

Hug your husband or wife a little tighter today.
Hug and hold your babies.
Snuggle with your pups and kitties,
for they are *family* too!
~
And those
*really unimportant things that keep us miffed,
and rent space in our heads*
let it go~
{i have to practice this one a lot!}

*Please never, ever use Barbed Wire as fencing for horses. It is so harmful!
Can you imagine what Annie's neck would look like if her pasture was fenced in this!*
 
Late Saturday afternoon we took a drive
to survey the damage in our little community.
It was a gorgeous spring day, filled with
sunshine and warm breezy goodness.
It was hard believe that Mother Nature
had thrown such angry weather at us only
72 hours ago!
And then we rounded a corner and saw the
Mare and her foal!
A little colt {i peeked!!}
still wobbly in his legs,
learning to eat grass with baby teeth!

I watched in amazement like I had never seen this
kind of beauty before!

Mother Nature at Her finest........

~Hugs to each and every one of you~
I worried so very much about my friends
who also went through this terrble ordeal,
and was greatly relieved to find you were all safe!
Thank you for the emails to check on us!
xo,
  misha

You can read about our experience of going through
Hurricane Frances right here!

{it took me days to get this posted,
because we continue to lose power!
see? i am miffed again!
bad, misha, bad!}

p.s. Andrea, it only works on kittens!
i wish.....

p.s.s. you can read part 1 of this post
HERE!




29 comments:

Deb said...

One of my family members is a catastrophe insurance adjuster and was just deployed to your area. I think they are staying in Knoxville. I'm glad that y'all don't need them and dodged the tornadoes. It sounds like it was a long scary night.

Are your dogs typically scared of storms or did they just pick up on your emotions?

Laura said...

I was so happy to see another post from you! I've been thinking about you since your last time and wondering how you all were getting along.
I'm hoping that everything that is happening now will not affect the help that everyone who have lost so much in these storms. It seems so easy to "forget" about "old news"...I wish there was more I could do other than donate money to the Red Cross...

Lori said...

So glad you're ok. I didn't realize you were hit with so many tornadoes there in east tennessee as well. Our prayers go out to all of you.

Jeanette said...

I'm so glad your are all ok over there. What a scary day for you guys. Don't you wish you could have taken the horses into the basement, too?

from my front porch... said...

Deb, baby Girl has always been very scared of thunder. Then it progressed to hard rain. Now it only has to sprinkle outside, and she is panting and shaking!! I guess everytime it rains she things thunder will follow. We wrap her tightly in her blankie and that helps a little :) J is her *person* and she will snuggle with him!
Sadie Louise was NEVER scared of storms until two years ago. I do believe Baby Girl's fear began to rub off on her :(

I hate that we can do anything to ease their fear.
misha

from my front porch... said...

Laura~
Thank you for your concern! And if you have donated to the Red Cross-
Kudos to you!! That helps so very many people! The Red Cross is set up here in Tellico Plains helping those find shelter etc. They also are distributing food and bottled water to those without power still.
misha

from my front porch... said...

Jeanette~what an awesome idea!!!
My mind is whirling with how to build a storm shelter for horses!

Rural Revival said...

Oh my dear, living in an area of the country where weather catastrophes, so far, have been very minimal, it is so hard to comprehend the experience of a tornado or hurricane but you have helped me to understand how terrible an ordeal it is. At least for humans, we may not be able to control anything but we still understand what is happening around us, while the animals are truly in the dark. How traumatic it must be for them.

I carry all of those who have lost so much in my heart, every day. The loss is extremely difficult and the shock only makes it worse.

Hugs to you All
LYLAS
Andrea

PS. Well, I can still try. : )

from my front porch... said...

Lori,
Most Tornadoes come our via west Tennessee-Memphis, Nashiville etc.
We usually don't worry because as soon as they hit the mountains they seem to break up and disperse.
These were different. They were coming at us from all directions! We were hit with one that came right up from Georgia, through Chattanooga and on up.

from my front porch... said...

Hi everyone!
I have had so many emails asking questions about the storm system that came through the southeast, how the animals did etc.
If you have a question to ask in your comment, I will answer it right here! So check back :)
xo, misha

Samantha said...

Misha, oh so glad everyone is ok. Sending good thoughts to all..such a tragedy.
Holding my beloveds a little closer lately....

texwisgirl said...

we take so much for granted on a day to day business (water, electric, phone, satelitte) that when it's interrupted we get bend out of shape. yet, in the grand scheme of things, it is such a minor convenience when others lose everything. having been thru losing your home in florida, i can only imagine how worried you were about your horses as you huddled with your smaller babies in the basement. yes, i'm jealous (and grateful) you have a basement... :)

Julie Harward said...

I am so glad it didn't hit you! This was a scary one for sure and God bless the people who have lost so much. I say, bring your horses and pets and some live with me! ;D

Golden To Silver Val said...

Thank God everyone is all right in Front Porch Land. I am terrified of these storms and wish so much we could find a way to stop them. Fly above the swirling angry clouds and drop a chill pill right in the middle. It'd be great if only it was that easy. This was Annie's first experience, wasn't it?

Snappy Di said...

Hi Misha... gosh, so glad you came through this as good as you did... could have been very bad for you and J.

I noticed that there is a Facebook page set up by someone who found or rather was rained upon by lots of photos after the tornado in Alabama. If you continue to find lots of photos, take digital photos of them and place them on a FB page... you can name it Photos found after Tennessee Tornado. Just a thought, but they probably mean something to someone who would love you forever for getting them back to them Check and see if someone has already set up a FB page for this purpose.

Di

Snappy Di said...

This is the Facebook page for the found Tuscaloosa area photos. Didn't find a FB page for Tennessee though.

https://www.facebook.com/PicturesandDocumentsfoundafterAprilTornadoes

Donna said...

The angels surely spared you! I was praying for you when I saw the storm reports and radar screens. Thank GOD that you are OK and only lost some trees and the contents of your fridge/freezer!

The White Farmhouse said...

I am so glad that you and your family came through ok. I feel for the families who have lost so much, including loved ones. Isn't it funny how you can get so mad at the little things. A good lesson to be grateful for the big things. Hopefully you will be back to normal soon.

from my front porch... said...

Thanks for sweet words Texwis Girl!

Julie, I would love to load up everyone and come for a visit!

Val, I think you have a splendid idea :)

Di, Thanks for the info! I will try to find something on Tn!!

Donna, I was worried about YOU, too! So glad you are safe :)

Samantha, Yep, squeeze your fam a little tighter today!

Hi Maggie! I have been thinking of you :)

from my front porch... said...

Andrea,
I wish, too :)
LYLAS!

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage said...

Hello Misha,
I'm so glad that you and J and your 'family' are ok after those terrible storms. I can't imagine what it's like living through something like that...sitting waiting for the alarm to send you down the basement in the darkness of night. I feel for your neighbors and those who lost loved ones and property. Yes we need to think about what's important to us and hug our loved ones and be grateful for what we have because you just never know what can happen. I hope you're weather is better now and you're able to relax. Take good care of yourselves....
Maura X

allhorsestuff said...

Oh my sweet friends...you have ben truly blessed! I pray for all those that did not fair so well. Are thou coming LORD? The birthing pains seem to be closer together!

What a freight! How where the horses? Probably pt 1.
The animals take it the hardest...
I'm so berry glad that you and yours see well amd your lovely farm were spared....you would have seen(in person) some unexpected help from your own blogging community! Of course, of rather come on a good day!

Donna said...

Misha, I missed this post yesterday! I am thankful you are all okay. As close as the tornadoes were to us we didn't even have a tree limb in the yard. Just debris from the tornado.
I am so glad you found who the pics belong to. That's the reason I was searching our pasture for pictures that someone would want returned. I forgot to mention I found part of a Bible near our barn. There's not a name just about 30 pages.
I hope your power is completely restored by now.
Take care and hugs))
Donna

Jeni said...

Dear Misha, J, and all the fur babies. I'm so happy that your homestead wasn't hit, but saddened at the same time by all those who were in the paths of mother nature's temper tantrum.

x.o.
Jeni

Flat Creek Farm said...

It all still seems so unreal. We are 'almost' used to the occasional scares we have around here. There have been some close calls in the past. But, I never remember there being a time when so much devastation was caused by so many tornadoes.. during a fairly short period of time. So glad you and yours are ok! Prayers still going out for the ones who lost so much. -Tammy

Country Dreaming said...

Happy to know that you guys are fine. How scary for all of you.
Living in the Midwest, we have our share of these nasty storms but I have never experienced one and hope to NEVER experience one!
Wishing you and yours the best of luck!!!


Melinda

Flat Creek Farm said...

Misha, I thought of you when someone posted this facebook page for posting found photos & such post-April 27 tornadoes. Have you seen?
https://www.facebook.com/PicturesandDocumentsfoundafterAprilTornadoes
Hugs to all.... Tammy

Ironstone and Pine said...

Hi Misha...finding those pictures and the check from Georgia, that's mind boggeling isn't it??!! The twister that came near us (about 5 miles as the crow flies) did some incredible damage.....not only structural, but I've been told of at least two horse owners who had to put down their horses due to terrible injury, AND get this....one horse that was found in a tree, alive and ok (Im guessing it was somehow stranded in the fork of a tree, not sure). I'm going to go out that way later and take my camera, seeing is believing......just incredible, glad you and yours made it through alright!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Dearest Misha and J - so glad you and yours weathered the storm and so sorry at all the terrible horribleness around you. We had some damage but no loss of life and if it hadn't been for the dogs in a blind panic, I probably would have slept through it all!
I hate, hate, hate barb wire and won't have it on my place except for the shared fence lines and neighbors who believe in using barb wire. We sheared Thursday night and found a large piece of barb wire wrapped in the rear fleece of one of my wethers.
Thank God, the wire was removed without injury and the sheep wasn't hurt.