31 January 2011

A Muddy Stallion and a Sassy Filly!


We had a Beautiful Sunday!
Here, in the mountains of east Tennessee, our temp hit 65!
Don't be jeal :)
Of course, it was just a brief tease from
Mother Nature!
Because today it is raining.

The horses just knew they had hit jackpot
with this wonderful, sunny, breezy day!



Cadence has his lunch,
Al Fresco, each afternoon at 1p.m.
Then he finishes his agenda.
The same agenda he keeps for each day.
To get as muddy as he possibly can!
(when we go through a drought? Oh, woe is Cadence!)


He kept true to his vow
of rolling several times, during the day, in his mud pit!

Late in the afternoon, J called him to the barn.
Like a pup he comes barreling from his pasture
to the small paddock behind the barn.
And this handsome guy is 31!


And Sunday was no exception to his rule!
He was smothered, covered, and slathered.

This guy lives for mud.
And on a rainy day, like today,
he is joyfully reeling inside at what
tomorrow holds for him at his
horse-made mud pit!



"Hey, don't judge me!"

The look of tired satisfaction.




J slapped his hand on Cadence.
Can you see the cloud of Pig Pen dust?!


He had so much mud caked on his shoes he had added about one inch to his height!
J cleaned his feet outside.
Otherwise, there would clumps of squishy mud all over on the barn floor
as soon as he hit the concrete.
Hey, I like a tidy, clean barn!

I headed in with Cadence and gave him his
alfalfa cubes, drenched in molasses.
(This old guy eats 15 pounds of hay, alfalfa cubes, and grain for "seniors" daily just to maintain his weight!)

I also made a mental note to get the arsenal,
the big guns, of grooming tools for
this muddy guy!




We have been changing up the way we turn out and bring in the girls.
Annie needs to learn that she is not always first!
J went out to get Allegra.
And Little Miss Annie
had a major meltdown!



" 'Scuze me...I sposed to be first!"



"I'm first, J!"


Annie totally let her dissatisfaction be known!
She was beyond angry.
She was tossing her head as fast as she could.
And wailing like a baby.

Look at her mane standing straight up and her muzzle high in the air!
The grand head toss Arabians are so well known for.
At fifteen months, Annie has it down pat!



Miss D just headed to their gate and patiently waited.
But, Annie?
She ran the fence back and forth until J and I went to bring them in.
She still had a sassy little attitude going on all the way in.


 

Allegra and J.



I do believe Princess Allegra snickered the whole way in
and muttered under breath,
"Spoiled filly!"




Look at that Nasty Face!
Horses are capable of such emotion.
Ears pinned back and her eyes lowered.
Annie has learned to carry a grudge!

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
*Dear Annie,
Just because we brought you in last,
does not mean we love you any less.
Even though you will always be the
little punkster on the totem pole,
You will always be my baby!
love, mishy
(This is what Annie calls me. You know, in my own little mind!) 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~





He was wiped out from his big day!

Me, sans makeup, hair done, and scrappy barn clothes on!
But, this big guy doesn't care what I look like.
He just loves me for me!


 

I always tell Cadence how well he cleans up!
Isn't he handsome!
It takes a while for mud removal.
But we chat, share pretzels listen to tunes and give
each other lots of nuzzles.

I really do enjoy grooming time!
My ~one on one~ with each of them.
On weekends, J always takes care of Annie
since I get the little bugger all week!
She loves her J time!
(I do believe he loves his Annie time!)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
A few readers have asked-
"How do you keep the horses so shiny and beautiful?"

Thank you for asking and the compliment!

Our secret?
Good old-fashioned elbow grease!
Body brushes, gentle face brushes, soft towels,and good hair brushes.
They are never brought in from turn-out without being groomed.
~Never, ever~
Grooming each day also helps me find any boo-boos
that may have occurred during turn-out.
Each day, one of them has some kind of cut or scrape!
Treating those immediately and for the days after are prudent.
It saves the horse from infection, pain~
And can avoid a HUGE vet bill.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Annie was the last to be groomed
She finally settled down in her stall,
and snacked on yummy hay.



Getting sugar cubes.
Just because...
she is
Annie banany!



J helped Annie smile
Really Big, so you could see
her "big girl teeth"!
(such proud parents we are!)

After sugar cubes and a smile,
her sassy attitude changed.




She checked out all the grooming tools,
while munching on hay.
Annie still has fun taking everything out of the bucket!



And she was so worn out from a
day of play, throwing her head, stomping her feet,
and holding a grudge,
she could hardly keep her eyes open
while J brushed her face.



And last night as Annie slept,
I know she was dreaming of the day she gets
to be a lead mare.
(never!)
And always have her way!
(Maybe sometimes!)

Cadence closed his eyes to thoughts
of the perfect mud hole
and how to perfect it.

Allegra saw visions of being
"Da Boss" over Annie
when they become pasture friends.

Miss D smiled as she dozed,
thinking of what an amazing, spunky,
little filly she is raising.

And Allure?
She slept peacefully.
Knowing she is and always will be the
Lead Mare!


And me?
I am so grateful to be a part of their lives.
And it is no dream.....

xo,
  misha

If you could be any one of these five "kids" for a day,
who would you choose to be?

Cadence-the Stallion
Allure
Miss D
Allegra
or Annie

Tell me!
















22 comments:

Rural Revival said...

Senorita Andalucia..my what big teeth you have and a fair sized attitude to match! I still love you, though, just the way you are and Mishy too. : )

Who would I be? That's a tough call, but I would have to pick Senorita Bonita Andalucia..because it would be fun to be a kid again.

Hugs to all of you ~Andrea~

PS. Mishy, I can see your new font now and I luv it! ; )

Donna said...

Misha,
I would love to any of them! Oh to be brushed and groomed and eat sugar cubes ... that's the life :)
But to be young again and so innocent like Annie ... she is a hoot!
Love your posts!
Hugs,
Donna

Snappy Di said...

Awww, Misha... don't you know by now that the entire bloggy world loves you sans make-up? Silly girl.

Di

Laura said...

Oh my goodness! I love all of your posts, but especially the horsey ones.
I don't know who I would want to be. Someone like me...oldish but not the boss...that's me. Who do I match? :)
Misha, thank you for being you!

The White Farmhouse said...

Who wouldn't love you just the way you are?! I would love to be Cadence for the day. Play outside and roll in the mud without a care in the world. Then lunch and a spa treatment? I think I am jealous now!

Deb said...

Oh Mishy, I love this post, I felt like I was there with all of y'all. I'm loving Annie's attitude. Do you think she might be a tad bit spoiled? Nah, just loved! I think I might like to be Cadence so I could roll in the perfect mud hole.

Tonya said...

So beautiful Misha. Horses are so powerful yet very graceful. I have a rabbit and I just read last night that they have a digestive system like a horse and believe or not their tounges are like horses too:) Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

Kim Arnold said...

Misha,

You are always such an encouragement to me! I appreciate you and your words more than you know. You spread a little light and joy wherever you go... even if you never leave the farm.

(Belated) Happy Blogversary! That was a great post, btw.

thank you for allowing us into your happy world.

All of your babies are beautiful. I kind of like Annie's sassy attitude, though.

love, kim

p.s.Thank you for linking my blog. That is really an honor.

Feral Female said...

What an endearing post!

Karen said...

I'm cracking up at Annie's attitude. I can see the fright of not wanting to be left ALONE out there, but she had company! ...

You're making me look bad, Misha.. Opie is not brushed every day..

And who wouldn't want to be Annie.. she's a spoiled little girl :-)

Chrys said...

Misha - I have been following your blog for awhile now, but have never left a comment. I love reading the stories of your wonderful animal family. I too think I would like to be Cadence. A good roll in the mud every once in awhile sounds like fun! It is very evident the love you and J have for them.

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage said...

Good Morning Misha!
What a great post...well they always are but I like this one with such good pictures of Cadence and the one with Little Miss Annie doing the 'head toss'. They are very lucky horses with all the love and care you and J give them...no wonder they look so good! I hope this bad weather misses you...we're having what we call up in Canada a blizzard down here in Kansas..it's not quite as bad as we get up there but it's supposed to get worse. We'll see. Anyway...keep warm and stay safe. Maura :)

Jeanette said...

Great post, Misha! Little Annie is a stinker sometimes and that's why I would want to be her!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Love all the pictures. Your horses don't seem to get quite as fuzzy as mine. My boys (and the pony) have some crazy long fur going on this winter!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I really enjoy looking at all your pictures. I'm just pretending like I live at your place....grin.

Amy said...

31 for a horse is ancient isn't it??? WOW, he looks fabulous! Maybe all that rolling in mud is his secret to staying so young looking!!! And ya gotta love those teens and their attitudes...hahaha..Miss Annie will learn that she is loved as much whether she is brought in first or last, she has the world's best parents who will teach her this!!
I can't get over the landscape and NO SNOW...and what is that bright stuff in the sky??? Is that sunhine???
Hugs from the winter wonderland of Norway :-)

Designs on 47th Street said...

Beautiful pictures! I know I would just love your area.
Donna

Lucy (aka rharper) said...

I loved this post. I like all of them. But some strike the heart in me more.

Cindy said...

I am Miss D and raising Annie and Cadence times 2 each! I think Cadence likes to get super dirty so that you have to spend more time with him during grooming. Its a plot :)

Donna said...

I loved the whole story with pictures! Miss Annie sure is spoiled rotten, LOL! You take such good care of your horses and your love for them shows!

Cottage Contessa said...

What a beautiful life.....for them and for you! Lovely post sweetie, and thank you for stopping by my new blog for a visit. I really appreciate it!

Hugs, Amanda xx

Alisha @ Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

Hi Misha!!

How are you? I tried posting about 2 weeks ago, but, was having trouble. I'm sorry I didn't stop by sooner. I been doing drive by postings. Just post and leave. We were so busy with the holidays and I was finishing up my sewing certificate, which I accomplished finally in November.

I love that picture of you and Cadence. He is so handsome. Annie is so beautiful and her eyes are so soulful. I love how horses can express emotions so well. I remember my horse was like that.

I hope all is well with you, J and the gang. Please give all of your fur babies little nuzzles from us.

Talk to you soon.

All my best,
Alisha