04 August 2010

Come again another day...




Rain, Rain go away,
Rain, rain, go away,
Come again another day;
Little Annie wants to play.
Mother Goose 
with a slight moderation :)





We were not supposed to have rain until late afternoon.
The weatherman fibbed!



By 11:00a.m. it looked like this.



The wind began to pick up.
And we could hear thunder
 and lightning in the distance.






The horses were already outside,
enjoying the morning!
 But, the sound of thunder had Miss D and Allure
running to their respective gates.
Miss D is terrified of storms.
Annie didn't care one iota!
I quickly got Miss D into the barn and
into her stall, which is always a "safe space"
for a horse.
Miss D didn't care one bit about coming in early.
When it thunders, she wants to be in her stall!
But, Annie?
She was running around the pasture,
squealing with glee as J and I tried to
herd her close to the gate.
She thought we came out to play!

*In the pouring rain, no less*
Finally she realized that all the mares were in the barn.
Annie cantered past us and made a beeline for the gate.
J and I were drenched by this time.
Annie got a much needed bath!
And Cadence?
Mr. Handsome Stallion...
He was still grazing in his pasture,
all-the-way-out-by the- well-house!
J grabbed his halter, jumped the fence, and began the trek
to get the old guy!
Until a crack of thunder, sent Cadence galloping
at full speed, to his gate!
Poor J had to turn around and make the trek all the way back
towards the barn.
I had Cadence in his stall before J even got back to the barn!
The well-house is the tiny brick building in the distance!
And so began a day of all of us in the barn!
We listened to our high-tech sound system!


Yep, we are high dollar when it comes to our barn tunes!
I gave everyone a snack of hay and carrots.
Except Annie, of course.
No carrots.
But, lots of sugar cubes.
She loves them.
So do I :)

Cleaning stalls is always chaotic when all
the horses are inside.
There are two extra stalls, so we move a horse to an
empty stall one while their "house"
is being cleaned.

But, every time someone gets moved,
everyone gets chatty!
They call, they bellow.
Annie squeals.
She is always certain that the horses are going
outside~without her!

It continued to pour rain outside.
Eventually the wheelbarrow needed emptied.
So, J threw on our barn raincoat.

As he walked down the barn hallway,
Annie began to slink to the back of her stall.

Not like Little Miss Annie,
who is always the social butterfly,
and has to see everything going on
around her!

We realized it was the raincoat,
and she was petrified of it!


J slowly introduced her to the
"funny looking thing that smelled funny".


J coaxed her to the stall door.

We did decide that J looked a little like the "Grim Reaper"! Ha!
No wonder Annie was cowering in her stall!

Annie sniffed the strange material.




Listened to the sound it made when J shook it.


But the best "Annie test" of all?
She had to chew on it!
Just like a toddler, everything goes in her mouth.
After a 10 minute
"introduce Annie to something new"
session,
she was no longer scared of J in the raincoat!




"I ain't skeered...anymore!"


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~




Allure was very bored.
Both she and Allegra are on their yearly
"the grass is too lush and they have gained too much weight,
Jenny Craig diet~horsey style!"

Every time I walked past her stall she
would nicker for more hay!

It is this time of year when, literally overnight,
horses will gain too much weight.
The grass is thick and lush.
Just the way they love it!

******************************************

Hay is not only a dietary necessity, it is a physiological one, too.  Horses are at increased risk of colic without the chewing time and gut fill provided with a mostly hay diet. Horses have evolved to eat constantly; therefore, they produce stomach acid constantly. Hay and saliva are alkaline and will act to buffer the stomach acid. Horses are most content when they can nibble almost all the time.


**********************************************



*And it is my job to control their daily intake*
By switching the hay they eat to another kind
with enough nutrients to be healthful,
but not fattening.
To cut their grain intake to a slight handful!

And limit the amount of grass they eat!

Every horse owner worries about
Founder at this time of year.


As lush, green grass begins to grow, it could be the beginning of serious founder problems – laminitis.
Laminitis is inflammation of the laminae of the horse’s foot. Laminae make up the delicate, accordion-like tissue that attaches the inner surface of the hoof wall to the coffin bone (the bone in the foot.) The sensitive laminae cover the bone and interlock with the insensitive laminae lining the inside of the hoof wall to keep the coffin bone in place within the hoof.
A horse suffering from laminitis experiences a decrease in blood flow to the laminae, which in turn begin to die and separate. The final result is hoof wall separation, rotation of the coffin bone and extreme pain. In severe cases, the coffin bone can actually rotate through the sole of the horse’s hoof where it becomes infected and usually results in the death of the horse.
LaminitisLush, summer grass.


To be able to let the mares stay out with
the other horses, and graze all day
we use grazing muzzles.







This is a very humane way to let the girls
enjoy time outside,
and we do not have to worry about their grass intake
because the grazing muzzles cut the grass consumption
by 75%!


This is a wonderful product! The graze muzzle can truly be a life-saver!
It is in no way cruel to the horse!



Allegra the Princess doesn't even mind wearing
her graze muzzle.
I do believe she thinks of it as some
upside down Tiara that she is privileged
to wear!



Cadence, the handsome stallion,
loves, loves his window.
He loves to watch the birds and other critters that play
under the trees!




On a rainy day, we leave his stall door open.
He will use his muzzle to move his hay right
outside the door.
Smart fellow he is!


He loves to watch everything going on while he snacks!

T.V. for horses :)




Allure finally lay down and dozed on and off.
With the fan pointing down on her, she was quite comfy.
I was quite jealous!
Had I not so much work to do,
I would have gone into her stall and snoozed
right along side of her :)





By 5p.m.
clear blue skies
graced the farm.

So did the humidity...
And the temp soared to 99 degrees.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Like so many of you,
I am so ready for Autumn.




I am so ready for trees full of brilliant colors.





And days with just enough chill in the morning,

that I will wonder if we will need this by

nightfall....







For now though, I have left a message on  the
little chalkboard next to our front door.
I hope Autumn sees this,
and knows just how much we are all waiting for
her impending arrival!



I am hoping that Autumn will make an early arrival!
Wonderful day to you all...

xo,
  misha


images~ My Best Friend Equine products
images and text~The Real Mother Goose



32 comments:

Feral Female said...

Lovely pictures as always! I too am more than ready for Autumn.

Jeni said...

Great pictures, we sure could use that rain here in Southern Ohio. Even though the heat is bad, I'm in no hurry for summer to end and move into autumn. Autumn is over too soon and it will be winter with ice and snow.

Jeanette said...

Thank you for another wonderful informative post. Your horses have a wonderful, loving home. I wish for Autumn for you if you want. I still want summer for a little bit more time!

Lucy said...

Again, I wanna be one of your horses. This was so interesting though. I always knew they had to chew pretty much all the time or most of it but I didn't know about the 'too much grazing'. And that little Annie is such a beauty.

Deb said...

Your posts are always so educational as well as beautiful! You have educated me to the point that I don't think I want a horse anymore, LOL! There is just so much to worry about with horses and I'm already a worrywart as it is. How am I going to be a cowgirl with no horse?

Country Dreaming said...

I needed a great horse story. Love them. The tiara bit was too funny.
I with you on the Autumn thing --BRING IT ON!!!!
Goood to see you!

Melinda

Snappy Di said...

Autumn just makes life so much simpler and more comfortable for all living creatures... well, except maybe flies and mosquitoes, but who cares about them anyway.

Di

Elle Bee said...

I hope autumn sees your sign too! :o) The rain cloud pictures were so beautiful. And once again, I leave here with more knowledge about horses than I arrived with.

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage said...

Hello Misha...this was a wonderful post. Well all your posts are wonderful...this was just a very informative one. I love the way J worked with little Annie to get her used to the rain coat. I had never heard of those grazing muzzles but what a great idea! Your horses are so lucky...cozy beds good food treats and fans blowing on you...such a life! You're good parents Misha. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on our barn fire... I appreciate the kind words. Have a wonderful but hopefully cooler dryer day...Maura :)

allhorsestuff said...

Hiya girlie!
Been recovering from the last camping stint w horses! Sad that I have to recover from time off...but it is a lot of work(still love it too).

WOW...summer storms are there huh. That well house is pretty far..loved that panorama photo. Some horses just don't care about it..rain and such...some, like mine and yours...run for the hills..."ooou cold raindrops are hitting my thin hide!" Too funny too to see them look for cover and buck and fart till they get there!

Yea...we returned from our camp trip and 2 disturbing things were facing me.
ONE was my riding buddies husband telling me that he did not feed the horses while we were gone...um can you say ignorant?! I told him about the stomach juices flowing and ulcers and colic if they had nothing to chew. he replied, " I'm not too worried about it".

Then, my ignorant PBO( sorry to say that) had made new fencing arrangements for the large grassy hay field..making accommodations for her FAT, OLD and FOUNDERED ONCE ALREADY Morgans to have it to eat.
making my turnout smaller and I believe...making sure she has not the option to hay it next year as they will effectively eat the roots down and it will surely become a "Dry Lot" in a month or so. Not to mention...the risks she takes...after having coliced- all three of them- this spring already..some people DON'T learn at all!

I am fortunate to have a HOT horse..and she may get fatter..but I ride her all the time, and I only let her eat spring grasses for an hour at a time till it is hayed. and summertime.

Well, I am not sure I am ready for Autumn, like you are, but we have only had a few days of the really hot and don't get humidity .

Your stove is adorable!!
XO
KK
Will finish the guest write up today..Promise!(if you still are wanting it?)

文王廷 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Flat Creek Farm said...

What a wonderful post, Misha! I would just about agree with you on hurrying up Autumn. Today is day #3 or more of about 100, and of course w/ humidity factored in... closer to 110! We are cookin' here. Full time job making sure all the critters are well and provided for. Almost as bad as winter! You take care, and we will hope for cooler days soon :) -Tammy

Donna said...

Misha,
Your blog always bring a smile to my face! My hubby and I both enjoyed reading it! He remembers me telling him about Annie and the carrot.
Rain ... I am so jealous! We need rain so bad and it is sooo hot! I am ready for Fall!
Hugs,
Donna

Karen said...

Love this photo group... and CADENCE!! He's such a handsome guy. I know I said that too many times already :-)

The humidity has been brutal around here, the horses have been turned out at night because during the day it's just miserable with heat and flies. UGH!

Donna said...

Thank you for all the great pictures of your "children" and the details of your rainy day. We had a big storm go through this afternoon, so I bet you got some showers as well! This hot weather needs to be history, I agree!

Marie said...

I enjoyed all your wonderful pictures. I, too, am looking forward to Fall.
Love,
Marie

ladyfi said...

I love all your shots - those moody rainy skies are terrific! And what pretty horses you have... I'm not ready for autumn yet - want to enjoy summer to the full. (We had six months of winter in Sweden last winter...)

Amy said...

Your horses are gorgeous as always...I don't think I'll ever have one of my own- but never going to say never....still, I love to visit yours and especially Annie...feel like I "know" her the best! I love a summer storm...even walking in the summer rain is delightful!! It's warm and wet at the same time...so nice!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Hugs from Norway :-)

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I'm with you - enough of summer and bring on the autumn!!

建邱勳 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ann On and On... said...

I love the upside down tiara comment!

As always I am impressed with your compassion and care towards your horses. You know how much I love horses and want one...actually 10. When I do get my farm I will be a better owner of animals because of you~

It felt like Autumn here tonight...it made me think of you!

Andrea said...

Just wanted to let you know I had not forgotten about you. Thank you for your sweet comments on arise 2 write. Life has been crazy with us. Please pray for my furry baby, Sitka. He has an upset stomach tonight. It is late and I am very concerned.
Hugs,
andrea

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Wow, I have I missed your beautiful blog?! So many pretty pics and fun info..(But as I age I seem to prefer summer to winter - esp last years blizzardS)
I'll be back LOTS more to explore. Thanks for sharing!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Me too, Misha... I am SO tired of summer --and it has been our hottest summer that I can remember. Usually we are cooler since we are 2000 feet up on the Cumberland Plateau. Not this year though.... SO---let's both be ready for Autumn together!!!

Love the pictures of your horses.... Little Annie is not afraid of storms yet, is she?????

We have had almost NO rain here this summer.. We had one 2-inch rain about 3 weeks ago--but almost nothing since then. The rains just go all around us!

Hope you have a good week.

Hugs,
Betsy

from my front porch... said...

Hi Betsy!

Annie seems fine during thunder-boomers so far! When we do have an all-out pouring rain storm, she might be a little agitated, but she calms quickly.
Of course, Miss D, her mum, is terrified of storms! I really prayed that Annie would not "inherit" that from her. It looks like she didn't!
Brave little filly she is!

xo, misha

from my front porch... said...

Of course I still want you to be a guest-blogger, Kacy!

Whenever you are ready, just send it!

xo, misha

Rural Revival said...

I love this post! That Annie is quite a character. The grim reaper, ha! I bet J never thought he'd be likened to him!

Hugs ~Andrea~

Merri said...

love the storm cloud pictures!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

ain't for city gals said...

Hi Misha...all your photos are always so beautiful...Unfornutately for us in Arizona we kind of skip of Autumn and we go straight to hoping for winter...we get a litlle spring and then summer again already...but wouldn't live anywhere else...the desert kind of grows on you...your property is gorgeous...

Mountain Woman said...

I loved your post about the rain and your beautiful horses. We've been having thunderstorms rolling through and they have been so refreshing. I also long for autumn which is only a few weeks away here but then I start to think about the below zero weather that will set in until March so I guess summer can linger. What a beautiful spot you have. If Mountain Man and I could find a hundred acres or more in your part of the world, we'd move in a minute because I'm homesick for Tennessee.

Sandra said...

The heat this year has been awful! I struggle, each and every day, to get chores accomplished and studio time has been, almost, nonexistent. I know I talked about winter this past season, but it didn't bother me nearly as much as this heat bothers me. Whew!
We've had severe t-storms with lots of lightening and the senior dogs are frightened to death; it doesn't seem to bother the horses and sheep. They find shelter in the run-ins and barns and wait it out.
Misha, the stove is lovely; what kind is it?

Shanda said...

So glad we don't have to worry about our hoses like that here in Missouri. We have afew that are never off pasture, they simply live there all the time. Our grasses are usually burned up to nothing this time of year so we don't have the worry. We actually grain all year and feed hay to the ones on the pastures also and not just the ones on the stalls or day pens. It is soooooo beautiful where you live and you have such a lovely home. I am so envious.
Blessings
Shanda