21 June 2010

A Place in my Heart...


The storm that blew in about 5pm. No rain, just lightning and thunder!



My, oh my.
What a hot, humid week we have in store.
I think the horses are as miserable as we are!

Hung out the horsey laundry and it dried in about 10 minutes!

Today, they all came to their respective gates
after being turned out for only two hours!

Everyone wanted a nice cool bath,

The horsey's have more bath stuff than I do!


and their own fluffy towels.




J walking Cadence in after his bath.

and then to go in their stalls,




stand in front of their fans,
and chomp on a snack of hay.



Love these beautiful eyes. When she makes eye contact with me; I melt!

And let their mane blow in the breeze!

Annie has discovered just how delicious a fan
blowing through your mane can be!

(I like feeling it blow through my mane too!)

Soon it will be time to teach her the fine art of
getting a horsey bath!
I am glad she likes water, and does not have a fear of it.

We bathe Miss D in the paddock so Annie can watch!
And she is mesmerized :)

J will hold onto the halter lead of Miss D.
I hose her down beginning with her legs,
and work my way up.

Annie stands behind her Mom,
catching the cool spray from the hose.
When it hits her face she closes her eyes!

For now she gets a little sponge bath each day.
This has become our play-time, too!
She gets so excited when I bring the bucket in her stall!
It contains all kinds of interesting play things.
Like brushes, spray bottles, and wet towels.
I do keep a watchful eye on her...

First, she likes to take out the brushes
and drop them out of her mouth, onto the stall floor.
*All of them, one at a time*

But the wet, squishy, large, bath towels are the best.
She keeps one end in her mouth
***squish, squish, squish***
while I use the other end to wash her face.

Annie is a little champ now during groom time!
She loves being pampered and loved on :)

Oh, how she has a place in my heart!

But, her little temper is right on cue at feeding time.
Because of her choking problem,
she only gets her "oatmeal" ,
while everyone else gets the grain and hay at the same time.
Annie has to finish this first, then she gets her hay.

So, at each feeding time after she finishes her oatmeal,
she lets out a
HUGE whinny, and
gives the stall door a couple kicks!
This is her telling me,
"I wanna my hay now, Misha!"

We do this routine at each feeding.
My smart, little filly!
Yep, I'm bragging!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Someone asked when Annie would be considered
a Mare.
Will it be on her first birthday?
Nope!

Little Miss Annie is still a foal, still a baby!

When calling her a filly now, we are distinguishing
that she is a female.
If she was a male, she would be a colt,
but still a foal at this age!

It drives me crazy that some horse people
call all foals "colts",
whether they are male or female!
(This is very common where I live. ugh)

She will be considered a Filly until four years of age!
In the Arabian and Thoroughbred world this is the norm.

When Annie turns four, then she will have
Mare Status!

But, I do suspect that Annie will always be at the end of the pecking order!

As it stands now,

Allure is the lead Mare.

"You betcha, I am the Lead Mare!"

Allegra will not let anyone take her position of #2.

"Being #2 isn't that bad. 'Cause I am still a Princess!"

Miss D doesn't care!

"Nah, I don't care. I respect Allure as my Lead Mare and she is also my Mama!"

But, when I am walking a mare or
I am in the pasture with them,
I am the Lead Mare!
They must always respect me!

***In wild herds, a "boss mare" or "lead mare" leads the band to
grazing, to water, and away from danger.
She eats and drinks first, decides when the herd will move and to where.
The herd stallion usually brings up the rear and acts as a
defender of the herd against predators and other stallions.***

Annie totally knows she is at the bottom
of the totem pole!
Remember how she "Clacks" at
Allure and Allegra?

"Clacking"- foals, even older horses will do this
 when they meet new horses as a sign of submission
and to let them know that they are not a threat
 and  it is their way of saying
 "I'm a baby, so don't hurt me."

Annie has begun Clacking to her Mom, Miss D.
A sign of the weaning process.
They still love another as a
Dam and her foal.
But, something is changing....

The next few weeks should be interesting to observe.

As these changes take place,
I will love on
Little Miss Annie,
and I will let her know that she will always have
A Place in my Heart...

"I am a Foal, hear me Clack!"

As far as I am concerned,
she can bang on that stall door every morning,
for her whole life,
to let me know,

"I wanna my hay, Misha!"

Thank you so very much for visiting!
Wishing each of you a wonderful week!

xo,
misha

p.s.

In a few days,
 Jane Augenstein will be here to guest blog! I can't wait :)(Just click to visit her!)

Oh, and check this out.
I have been viewing this video for
as long as it has been on YouTube!
It will give you a good belly laugh :)

Patches was very loved by his owner.
He was a special horse, who lived in north Florida.
He passed away around 2000, I believe!

CLICK HERE! To view a hilarious video of Patches the Horse!!!!

p.p.s.
Don't try this at home with your horse!
Most horses do not like riding in cars.
Cadence didn't.

Just kidding!!!!

p.p.p.s

To Karen of This Old House2,
Cadence would love to come visit Opie,
but he does not like to ride in the car!






24 comments:

Mom's Coffee Time said...

Such a fun and wonderful blog!! I wish you a wonderful week despite the warm weather :) Blessings to you~ Amy

Andrea said...

Hot..humid..miserable..yep that is what it's like here. I am blessed each time I visit, here. You have a beautiful place...I love the horses...and the gift of beauty and peace they bring on my visits.

Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and support.

Blessings and hugs,
andrea

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How very fortunate your horses are, to be so well loved and taken care of so diligently...
Love your pictures, those beautiful brown eyes make my heart melt !
It's HOT here too, not my kind of weather I'm afraid, but grin and bear it the best I can.
Thank you for sharing your gorgeous farm with us, it's like going on a trip to the mountains, each time I pop in :)
Hugs,
Jo

Snappy Di said...

Hi Misha! Just getting around to reading other blogs tonite since I was gone most of the morning and afternoon.

Love how you explain the pecking order to those of us not accustomed to being around horses. My sissy gets it since she has horses but I'm completely in the dark about them.

Talk soon,
Di

Julie Harward said...

It bugs me too when people call all babies colts! I think Annie has found a place in my heart too...I just love her! :D

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Misha, thanks for the update on your horses... I know this horribly hot weather is hard on them also. You all take such good care of them...

Sometime, you will have to make a video of Annie Clacking... I've never heard that before....

I mentioned you in my blog today..
Hugs,
Betsy

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm totally with you on the "colt" thing. Drives me nuts. I think it's an old cowboy leftover thing. LOL

Kathy in KY said...

Hi Misha - viewing your post made a great end to my day. Very peaceful, calm, and loving. Your care for your horses shines through. Annie is a beauty, as are your others. Thanks for sharing such a neat post with all of us. Take care, from KY.

Sandra said...

Gosh, it's so hard to keep cool in this tremendous heat. The horses look a lot cooler than do I! -grin-

Feral Female said...

Yup the heat gets to humans and animals alike! Lovely post Misha!

Lucy said...

Can I come to your place and be a horse? :) The pecking order in horse world is so interesting. I've seen it in action many times. I loved this post!

Jeanette said...

Thanks for another fun to read informative post! Love little Miss Annies fancy sunflower on her stall!

Flat Creek Farm said...

I've sure missed my Misha!! Beautiful post, as always.. will be back sometime (soon I hope) to catch up :) -Tammy

Deb said...

That was all so interesting especially about the clacking thing. I didn't know that at all. I'm a dummy when it comes to horses but I sure like them!

Deb said...

Misha--I had to come back to tell you that I laughed so hard at the Patches video that I almost wet my pants! When he answered the phone I truly lost it. That is greatness!!!!

Country Dreaming said...

I was so excited to see a horse story today! I love hearing about the horses especially Annie.
She is getting to be a big girl!

Thanks for coming by--come again soon!

Melinda

Karen said...

Around here in the QH world we call them foals for about six months, then fillies and colts appropriately, then yearlings, two-year olds, then mares and geldings(usually).

Donna said...

Such beautiful pictures and descriptions! If the weather wasn't so frightfully hot right now, I'd be tempted to jump in my truck and come on down for a visit to see those precious ladies in person!

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage said...

Hello Misha! Your horses are so well taken care of...imagine a bath every day and their very own fan. With all this heat and humidity I bet they're loving that! Little Miss Annie is such a sweet thing..it's sad that she'll be at the bottom of the pecking order...but that's life in the horse world. I hope you're keeping cool...enjoy your Thursday! Maura :)

chasity said...

absolutely loving your photos...
and wishing i had a barn full of horses!

have a great day~

Donna said...

Misha,
Annie is just adorable as always ... she has a special place in my heart as well! I just love reading about your horses. It is very hot and humid here too! You and J adore your horses and I know they feel the same ... one big happy family ...warms my heart!
Patches the horse is hilarious!
Hugs,
Donna

Ann On and On... said...

The love you have for your horses takes my breath away.

AlaynaGainer1姿吟 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。....................................................................

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I always get asked how my "pony" is doing when they refer to my yearling filly. It drives me crazy!
Annie sure is a cutie!