10 February 2010

The horrors of Pride.



Annie and me, for years to come...

A week ago Sunday my Mom called to tell me about a huge news story in Toledo, Ohio.
(They live in a town outside of Toledo, where I grew up)
A women who owned a large Arabian training and breeding farm had been arrested
for the inhumane neglect of almost 40 Arabian horses.

Neglect is abuse.

For months these poor creatures had little or no food. No water.
There were dead horses in stalls inside the beautiful, million dollar barn.
Rescuers were shocked to find a dead foal in a stall.
All I could think of was our Annie....

The Toledo Blade newspaper has reported on
this horrific crime, and yes, it is a crime,
each day since.
They have interviewed many neighbors, who said they were
concerned about the condition of the horses.
Did any of them report it, months and months ago when the decline of the horses was so visable?

NO.

Until, finally someones conscience weighed over
"not wanting to get involved."

The woman responsible for this crime, is a well known business owner.
Wealthy.
Her attorney claims she called the Humane Society several times for help.
They deny this call for help.
Her attorney claims she lost millions in the stock market eighteen months ago.
I don't care.
She was the owner of succeesful Arabian farm.
Other people in the Arabian horse business sent their horses to her farm to be bred.
This means a monthly check was being sent to her farm for services...

Can you imagine being a horse owner who entrusted your animal
to her care?
Thinking your equine friend was being cared for the way YOU care for it!

Instead, all of these beautiful creatures were starving to death at her hands.

There are always people to turn to in an event such as this.
Horse owners are very willing to help out their own.
When asked why she didn't turn to the many friends she had in Arabian business,
her answer was simply....
Pride.
She did not want hand-outs.

She needs to be reminded the feed, hay, water, medicines...
would not have been for her.

Her Pride has caused the suffering,
the day to day slow death, for many horses.

I have spent hours over the last week gathering info on this person.
A successful business owner, a political contributer, business ventures with patents..
An ad was placed one year ago this month for couple to help mange her huge farm.
An ad was placed for an assistant trainer.
Money has to be flowing to pay for salaries on large farms.

I will follow this crime until the Judge in the case hands her a sentence.
I have already wriiten my letter to that Judge, whomever it may be once
she goes to trial.
I will send it at the appropriate time.

Remember, we all have a voice.
A voice that can be transfered to pen and paper,
or the simple keystrokes on our computers.

Wouldn't it be incredible if the Toledo Blade began receiving
letters from around the country?
All beacuse one person wrote about this story on her blog...
Help show the power of blogs. You are all wonderful writers.
Help me make sure this person understands the horrific crime they have committed.
Help all the Annie's that may be in similair living situations.
(This news story made print in newspaers across the U.S.,
 Austraila and Britian.)

And please remember, should you ever see animals in a situation
that you have that gut feeling something is not right-
Call your local Humane Society.
Calls are always anonymous.
I know our neglect phone numbers by heart.
And I use them.
OFTEN!

(Did you know that in some counties, a call pertaining to animal neglect allows
police officers to look into the home situation of children involved.
The animal neglect call often leads to finding a child in neglect!)

Please help me. Please write a simple letter to the editor.
The judicial system will be watching this case.

Let everyone involved know that a small fine and probation
are not nearly worthy enough of the suffering these animals endured at her hands.

You and I are their voice.
Please speak loudly for them.

Remember: Neglect is Abuse!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
read the article here.
*there are several articles preceding this latest one.

You can email a letter to the editor at this address:

letters@theblade.com

or snail mail:

The Blade
541 N. Superior St.

Toledo, OH 43660
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Blessings,

24 comments:

Sandra said...

Pride is all right if you're the only one hurting you but when pride causes pain in others...that crosses the bar.
Misha, I'm sorry but I didn't read your entire post. I read down to the part where she neglected/abused the horses and then I stopped. Maybe I'm just at a weak point right now but I couldn't, just couldn't, keep reading. My heart is a bit brittle, perhaps it's the extreme cold, snow, wind, etc. but there's only so much a heart can take. Mine is at the not taking any more point today. If I start crying, I'm afraid I'll never stop.

Brenda said...

Misha - This story tears my heart apart. In years past I have taken in many many neglected horses and loved them back to health in order to be placed in GOOD homes where they will be cared for and loved for the rest of their lives. Yes, I will write a letter to the editor.

Sydney said...

I understand this whole heartedly as I rescued my little old Naigen from a very severe neglect case.
The humane society in our area is so useless it makes me want to stop and scream but you never, ever get anywhere with them.

Deborah said...

This makes me sick. I'm going to go read about this now. I wonder how they slept at night.

Andrea said...

Misha,
Great article. Please email me the info. as to where my letter should be mailed. aperdue7@comcast.net
She should be severely punished. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Hugs,
andrea

Shooting Stars Mag said...

oh wow, that's horrifying. I heard about something like near me recently too. I have no clue if it was the same story...I can't remember...but it was horse neglect. I think it might have been a guy this time though. So sad.

-lauren

I don't know if you entered the Holey Donuts giveaway or not, but if you could check out this post and do so for my blog, it would mean a TON for my family and you can enter for the book afterwards too if you wish (White Cat by Holly Black ARC)!:

http://shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com/2010/02/giveaway-white-cat-arc-250-holey-donuts.html

Deb said...

Good for you...more people need to stand up for rights...animals or peoples....

Country Dreaming said...

Glad there are people like you. I've always felt that NO MATTER what if you can't handle animals for ANY reason one SHOULD NOT have them.

Keep up the good work!

Melinda

bbmommy2 said...

Heart breaking, that these horses were abused and starved. Why would this women take in additional breeding horses? When she was not feeding her own horses! This sounds more sinister that not having the money to feed her horses. She could have sold the horses, if she was unable to care for them. Just closing them up in the barn and looking the other way.....that sounds just evil.

Your farm is breathtaking! In all the beautiful places in the world, the Appalachian mountains is my most favorite. We hope to live in the mountains someday. For now, we visit as much as possible.

The Lone Star Queen said...

That breaks my heart and is total craziness. I learned a long time ago that sometimes you just have to swollow your pride. She needs to be locked up for long time then we will see how much pride she has left. Good for you for stomping your feet.

Donna said...

Misha,
This hurts my heart! How awful! That lady should have the worst punishment possible!! She is one pathetic human being UGH!! She should have given the horses away. I am going to read the rest of the story.

Rural Revival said...

That's it? 90 days and $750 fine per each animal? That's insane. I hope she is never allowed to own another animal ever. Oh Misha, after I get over the anger it just breaks my heart. Pride? I think the Lord has a thing or two to say about pride. I will never understand how someone could do this..never, never, never. At the very, very least she should of returned the horses that were not hers. Torturing animals, because that's what she did is inexcusable...and it's a lot more than just pride getting in the way. That's an easy out if you ask me. Thanks for passing this on to us, I'd like to tell the judge what I think too.

~Andrea~

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Oh how terrible, Misha... These kind of things make me cry--and they also make me furious. When I read about any animals being mistreated, I just go crazy... And now to think about these gorgeous horses. That woman needs to go to jail for a very very very long time. Keep us posted. I will send an email.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ann On and On... said...

Pride...whatever lady! She had what most people only can dream of having. What a sad, sad (hard to even imagine) situation. I really does bring tears to my eyes. She obviously cared more about herself than anything around her.

Arg! This really has upset me, but I'm thankful for people like you who know sharing the story will hopefully put this lady where she belongs. I hope she looks good in stripes!

When I can steal a few minutes I too will investigate this story. Thanks for sharing and for being an advocate for animals.

Amy said...

Hi Misha, I've read this article and several things run through my head. One of the shows my kids and I love to watch is animal cops on animal planet and often when animals are neglected it is people with a difficult ecomonomy who can no longer afford their animals but instead of giving them a chance for a better home they keep them and just neglect them. I can never understand the mind of people who can watch living creatures starve to the point of death or live with horrible insects or other things eating on their animal's open sores..I can't understand people like that but you do see sometimes people who have an illness who aren't in their right mind and need as much help as the animals.
In this case when you have someone who obviously built up such a reputation for having a great farm with great stock and then this happens- it makes you wonder what happened? What made this person who obviously cared at one point stop caring?? I'm not trying to make excuses for her or what she has done. I agree it's a crime...but I think sometimes criminals need more rehabilitation then a slap on the hand in the form of fines and/or jail time. I think sometimes there is an underlying problem that needs addressed and I think that could be the case in this situation.
In all fairness the neighbours who saw these horses deteriorating in condition should also be punished for not acting- because by watching and not reacting that are accomplices whether they think so or not. Anytime one sits back and watches a crime in progress without reacting...it's aiding and abetting. Perhaps the situation had not gotten so bad if people had reacted earlier?? The people who saw this happening and didn't say anything have those dead horses and neglected horses on their conscious as much as the owner in my opinion.
Oh animal abuse is something I could write an entire blog on and then some but I won't hog your comment space for that. I'm glad you wrote about this so that perhaps people reading this will react if they see neglect next time instead of lowering their head and pretending not to see anything. You are making people aware of their responsibilities and that is a good thing. Thank you so much for your compassion and passion for those who can't speak for themselves..the world needs more Mishas.
Hugs my friend..

Elle Bee said...

This sickens me. It's horrible how she could let animals live in such terrible conditions. Those poor helpless creatures.

Lucy said...

I kind of agree with Sandra's comment... I have such a hard time reading about animal abuse...or babies/children. It just breaks my heart and I hear this so many, many more times that it needs to happen. My anger side wants to see them rot in hell for this horrendous abuse of animals and desire for the offenders to suffer the same exact punishment. I don't know what the good side of me feels. Excuses are not good enough for them. Sadly, she won't get the punishment she deserves. The laws haven't evolved enough yet for animals.
:((((((

Feral Female said...

What a tragic story and one that is sadly heard all too often. I`ll send an e-mail and do keep us posted.

Barbara said...

Hello, I will be writing a letter but, I do need to know where you read about finding dead horses in stalls and one being a foal. I read the story behind the link you left and did not find any mention of the dead horses. I did find that they had to euthanize. It is all so terrible. I do believe many people would have helped if she would have asked.

Shelly's Stuff said...

Wow! It makes me wonder how a person like that wound up in that business in the first place. What could she possible have been thinking!

cindy said...

This happens way too often.

Andrea said...

Sitka has an award for you at All Gods Creatures.

Flat Creek Farm said...

It's just sickening, isn't it? And to think this was someone who could have asked for help, and didn't. I'll head to the article, and see what I can do to help. Bless you, Misha, for having such a caring heart. -Tammy

Mountain Woman said...

What is the saying "Pride goeth before a fall" and how true it is. Selfish pride for sure.
I'm more than happy to blog about this next week but unfortunately this is only part of a huge problem all over the country as I'm finding out as I become more involved in rescue. Multiply these poor horses by every state in the country. Horses are a HUGE commitment and a huge expense. I look at my chubby mare, flush with health from so much winter hay, and my heart aches for those who are starving.
So sad Misha and I'll be glad to help.
And yes, we need to speak up and not be afraid to risk getting involved.