28 January 2010

Home Sweet Home...part one




I posted pictures last week of my desk.
The desk I sit at when I write.
The desk I sit at when I "visit" each one of you.

Well, to be quite honest, I was overwhelmed at the number of emails I received
asking about the decor in the living room!

Such sweet comments so many of you made!
And many questions about "where did you buy---?"

So, I will do my best to answer those questions :)

Mostly, I will tell you where things came from.
My Grandparents, Great Aunt Charlotte, my Aunt Debbie, my parents...

and junk stores, flea markets, antique shops, and thrift stores.
Because this is where I shop.
I stepped foot into a mall for the first time in four years recently.
And nothing interested me.

I like to hunt, dig, and scrounge for stuff.
I love to find a small vintage bowl,
bring it home, and find the perfect shelf for it.
And do a jig in glee because I paid 25 cents!

This weekend while thrifting I found three Fiesta dinner plates,
in turquoise!
They were each marked $1.00.
Golly gee Miss Molly!!!!
Talk about hitting paydirt~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our little farmhouse cottage was built around 1900.
In three parts.
The kitchen was the original house.
The living room/dining room was added about 10 years later,
and the bedrooms in the 1940's!

It's a quirky house.
With lot's of nooks and crannies
and it suits my style

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought I would share with you one of my
favorite books.
It is chock full of pages on quirky, whimsical rooms!


Home Sweet Home
A Journey Through Mary's Dream Home
by
Mary Engelbreit



Every page speaks to me.
It was love at first page when I bought this book ten years ago.
Each time I browse through my tattered copy,
I see something new!

This book has helped me embrace our red kitchen counter-tops.
Yes, red.
I really like them.
They fit with the vintage theme.

So, if you get a chance, pick up this adorable book.
Even if home decor is not your thing, just turning the pages will make your heart sing!
(I promise I did not set out to make that rhyme!)






Questions about this wreath and the wreaths on the barn gates, that change each season.
Yep, I made the wreath.
I love to make wreaths.
J tromps out in the woods with me and we cut the vines.
I twist them into wreaths, and let them dry in what used to be an old smoke house.
I have bunches, in all sizes!
I buy most of the foliage at the Dollar Tree.
It's cheap.
Because I am cheap frugal.

The lace curtain is actually a tablecloth.
It was my great-grandmothers.
I have had for 15 years and never used on a dining table
because I was too worried about stains, etc.
Then it I decided it would make a wonderful
curtain.
Exactly what I had been looking for over the last few years!
I love the fact that I am finally enjoying it.
I think it's beautiful.
And it fits my cottage farmhouse perfectly!





I love whimsical things.
I love quirky.
Hence, the Head!
This head sat in my Nana's living room as long as I can remember.
When she moved in with my parents several years ago I told her I wanted it!
The date on the bottom is 1953.
If anyone knows who she is,
please let me know!
We call her Henrietta.

I collect bird cages of all sizes.
Love 'em!
The birdcage on top of the shelf to the right,
I bought at an antique/junk store in Coker Creek, Tn.
The one on the bottom shelf is a clock.
I have real birds nests in all of them.

On the first shelf are old, antique trolly cars.
I bought these at a flea market in the town where I live.
I think I paid a dollar a piece.
Also, on the shelf are very old 45 RPM records!
Ted Lewis and Glenn Miller (In the Mood) reign over my collection,
These once belonged to my Grandfather.

On the second shelf are J's Brownie cameras.
He collects cameras and has a huge assortment.
(This could be a post all on it's own!)

Also on the shelf are old Bobbsey Twins books.
My Mom gave me all her old childhood books.
In the front cover of one
 is her name and the name of her childhood best friend!
These are the treasures that are priceless!







The lamps.
My Aunt Debbie (my Mom's younger sister, and more like my sis, than an aunt!)
passed these on to me.
I adore them.
They are so "me".
Funky, whimsical, with a touch of vintage!

My Aunt Debbie has such a heart of gold.
She has a love of shopping and passes all of her
"yesterdays" decor on to me!
How lucky am I!

Ah, yes the typewriter...circa 1921
It was my Dad's and he brought
it down to Tn. at New Years when he
and my Mom came to visit the mountains.
(and us)
I have loved this typewriter forever.

Now when I sit at the desk, I imagine I am

Marjorie Rawlings.
or
Lillian Hellman
or
Karen Blixen
Working on what will be my famous novel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope I answered all the questions.
As you can tell,
I am a junk/thrift/flea market/antique shop
kind of girl!

And then there are all those great finds along the road
that other people call trash.
I call it treasure.
We have a lot of those finds in our
home as well!
The old smoke house is full of old tables and chairs waiting for repurposing!

I will show the vintage kitchen and dining room soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~And the giveaway details are coming soon ~


Happy Thrifting!
xo,

Check out Catherine's beautiful giveaway!
She lives in France.
Her heart is as beautiful as the countryside pics she shares.
You can find her HERE!

16 comments:

Spring Lake Farm said...

Misha - It's really is lovely. You have quite a touch of style. I think the bust is my favorite.

Have a great day!

Sandy

Sandra said...

Your home is lovely and an oasis of calm in our hectic world. When home is calm, life is simply better!

The Lone Star Queen said...

The typewriter is just too cute. I would love to have one of those! I may make that my mission the next time I go to First Monday Trade days in Canton. My mom has several Brownie camera's tucked away in a box somewhere, I may have to talk her out of them. Your desk area is adorable and I love the curtain made from the tablecloth. Good idea. Thanks for the mini home tour.

Feral Female said...

Thanks so much for sharing, you have a lovely home and keen eye Misha!

Simply Stated ~ Rebecca said...

Still LOVIN' everything...it's all so charming. Whats better is that there is a story to everyting...Have a wonderful day! ;-) Rebecca

Milah said...

I'm with you, I avoid shopping malls and I can't remember the last time I was in one! I love the eclectic look too!

Vickie said...

Thanks for the little peak inside your home - I love what you did with your tablecloth. I did the same with a tablecloth in my farmhouse bathroom. I took the doors off the cabinet and now have it covered with an old tablecloth. I like your still - a little more dressy and formal than my more primitive look, but I like it! Our farmhouse was built in the 30's, it's very small, and when we redid it, my carpenter wanted to make everything perfect. I told him NO, I like a little character! So its got lots of character! Great job Misha!

Rural Revival said...

Thanks for sharing that with us Misha. I still don't know how you ever leave that room...well, that was before I watched the video of Annie...now I know!
I have just discovered thrifting...honestly, I don't know where I've been all these years! It's amazing what you can find and the deals you can get. Wowee! I told the Artist last week...I will never buy anything new again!

Have a wonderful day in the mountains.
~Andrea~

Andrea said...

Misha,
I must admit I am a technical dummy and my friend Mary at Divinely Designed added the prayer scroll gadget for me. However, Mary is a "precious" woman and would gladly share the info with you. Just hop over and ask her. She does work a full time job, too. So it may take her a day or two to get back to you. Her link is: http://divinelydesigned.blogspot.com

Hugs,
andrea

PS: She is the same one who has the interview with sarah.

Country Dreaming said...

Your house is really pretty. Great job with the decorations.

Melinda

Cheryl said...

Absolutely lovely....I never buy new...can't aford to...A little of this and that~ got to love it!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Misha, Thanks for sharing all of this with us. I loved seeing your 'pretties'.... I used to have all of the Bobbsey Twins books... Don't know what happened to them!!!! Sigh!!!

Thanks for sharing. I love what you are doing to your home... So CREATIVE.

Hugs,
Betsy

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Aaah Misha, what a lovely home you have there !
I can see where you get your inspiration, we have the same taste in furnishings, wreaths, (oh, do I have wreaths), cat baskets ;)
I can't wait to have a little peek at the kitchen, I bet it's cozy and inviting.
Lovely post, and thanks for sharing.
hugs,
Jo

Flat Creek Farm said...

Just gorgeous. Among your many other talents, you are a wonderful decorator! Thank you for sharing. I love it all, but that typewriter is my fave! Oh, and the wreath.. and, I really can't pick just one :) -Tammy

Oz Girl said...

Everything is gorgeous, so full of warmth (I just can't think of a better word!) but I really love the curtains Misha! Just the perfect idea for your great-grandmother's tablecloth ~ they make gorgeous curtains, and now they are safe from any stains too.

Even though we've redone our kitchen, I haven't been able to get into my decorating mode... I need to take a few lessons from your photos to add the much needed warmth to our kitchen! :)

*hugs*
Susan

Ann On and On... said...

That was a lot of fun. The history mixed with thrifty finds makes it a home.