12 December 2009

Making new friends, sometimes takes time......

The Little One has a new fascination
in her little life.
Allure and Allergra.
The two mares she knows from the barn,
are now outside at the same time
she is!
Allure is her Grandmother.
Allegra, her Aunt!
And each day when Miss D and the Little One are turned out,
a mad dash is made to gallop to the fence line,
so the Little One can watch in awe.
She waits and waits.
For the mares to come close to the fence.
I am sure she is thinking just how big they are.
and kind of scary..
The Little One wants to be friends.
But it is going to take time.

The mares graze at leisure.
But eventually they do come closer to check out
the Queens little prize.
The Little One sticks her head through the fence
to get a better look.
Sometimes the mares are sweet.
Sometimes the mares are not!


But the Little One uses an instinct that is a mystery
to so many in the horsey world.
She "Clacks."
"Clacking" is when a foal opens and closes their mouth
in a very rapid speed, to a horse that is older than they are.
The "Clacking" sounds come from their few teeth
hitting one another as their mouths fly open and closed.
In the baby horse world, Clacking from a foal to an older horse means,
I respect you,
I know you are older than me,
Please do not hurt me!
So we have seen a lot of Clacking this past week!
Allure and Allegra may pin there ears at the Little One,
but when she begins to Clack,
they soften.
They know the Little One knows they rule the roost.
Until Miss D sticks her neck over the fence, pins her ears back,
letting the mares know,
"You hurt my baby, and you will deal with me,
and I don't Clack!!"


Have a glorious weekend.
Hopefully you will not have to Clack at anyone!
Please take the time to visit Tammy at Flat Creek Farm!
She is having an awesome GIVEAWAY in honor of her
100th post!!
If you are not already a follower, well you should be :)
But, I claim the rights as Auntie to Ruby and Gracie!
So do not even try to usurp my Auntie title!!
And Amanda aka "The Cottage Contessa", is also having a giveaway!
Go! Go now....all the way to Australia!

21 comments:

Andrea said...

Mommie's always defend their little ones. She is adorable.
Blessings, andrea

Lucy said...

I just love watching them use their language. It is completely fascinating. I hope Santa treats that little girl very well this Christmas. She deserve it.

Country Dreaming said...

These horse stories just make me smile. I love it. You tell them so well.
Happy weekend to you too.

Melinda

Mountaindreamers said...

thanks for stopping by my blog, yes it is beautiful country! Your horses are beautiful.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Misha, I have never heard of "clacking" before... That is so neat. I'd love to hear Lil One do that sometime... SO neat!!!!

You are so blessed to have those gorgeous horses.

Have a great Sunday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Misha, I have never heard of "clacking" before... That is so neat. I'd love to hear Lil One do that sometime... SO neat!!!!

You are so blessed to have those gorgeous horses.

Have a great Sunday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Donna said...

I haven't heard of clacking either. I learn something new everyday! Mother and baby are precious.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

The new header photo is beautiful and I adore the mare and foal photos.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh, Misha, your little long-eared nieces send Auntie their love! Thanks for the shout-out! That was so sweet. ((hugs)) from all of us :)

And, I have never observed clacking. How wonderful! Thank you for teaching me something else new (to me) in the horse world! I love the first picture - Little One with her tail up! I can see how anxious she is to go over to the big horses. Too cute for words! - Tammy

Heart2Heart said...

Misha,

My favorite highlight of the week is seeing what Little One is up to this week as she nears Christmas! Thank you for giving us another glimpse into her life! Love it!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Elle Bee said...

Oh neat! I didn't know anything about clacking or that it even existed. I love to see pictures of Little One and all the horses. They are all so beautiful.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Your posts are always so interesting!

Could I be nosey and ask how you ended up in Tennessee from the shores of Lake Erie?

Jackie said...

Your horses are beautiful and I love hearing about them. Thanks for sharing a little part of your place in the mountains with those of us who aren't near any...

Have a great day.
Jackie

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Even now my smaller horses will do this with the older horses, especialy the two alpha mares and Big 'Un, the Curly x Percheron. I love to watch my critters interact.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Shelly's Stuff Jewelry said...

Love hearing about Little One's adventures!

Rural Revival said...

Oh Misha, she just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter! I had no idea horses did that, but it's so cute. You are a wealth of information when it comes to horses girl! J should be filming you and the kids, you could give us all tutorials! ; )

Be well! ~Andrea~

Kilauea Poetry said...

Just wanted to say hi. (Tammy posted your link on her blog)..anyway, I love all your adorable animals- you have a lovely blog!

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

She´s so beautiful!
I seldome has to clack to anny one :-)
Have a great day now!
Christer, that now lives in winter land :-)

Catherine said...

Your new header is vry nice.it's nice to hear from the little one.Isaw that you have decorated the stable! catherine

Oz Girl said...

Oh how cute, Little One the Clacker. LOL I would love to hear and see a foal clacking, I have never seen that before. The pics of Little One are adorable as always... hope all of you have a blessed and wonderful holiday season. :)

Ann On and On... said...

I love this blog!!! (Insert smile)