16 September 2009

And it rained, and it rained, and it flooded parts of Whistle Stop...

Whenever we have one of those rainy, drizzly,
just-won't-stop-raining days, this is the quote I always have in head!
And it comes from one of my all-time favorite movies.
I love this book!
I love the movie even more!

If you have never seen this treasure, put it on your list
of movies to watch. Or books to read.

Friendship, growing old, domestic abuse, racism, family, death
and tolerance of those different from us.
This movie touches on so much.

I saw Fried Green Tomatoes two or three (or maybe four!)
times before I fully was able to understand
every storyline that was woven through it.




The movie is pure eye candy if love everything vintage.
From the clothing, to the interior and exterior of homes, shops,
and of course the cafe, I can never get enough!

The movie was filmed in Juliette, Ga. and for several years
I lived within driving distance to visit.
I have lost track of how many times I have been there!

After the movie was filmed here, the little town
of Juliette saw itself blossom back into what it once was.
A place filled with shops, where the train passes by each day (signaling it's arrival!)
and of course that wonderful cafe filled with tourists and locals alike.
I considered myself a local!

Many of the homes in the movie are actually there.
The cemetery where Ruth is buried is really next to the church.
Whenever I made the trek to Juliette, it almost seemed surreal. Because so much of what you see of this little town in the movie, comes to life, when you visit in person!
The movie cast was wonderful.

To the right of the cafe is where the BBQ pit is.
Where Big George
declared it was "Hog boiling time".
And where Smokey Joe lived in his little shack.
You can actually look inside the shack and see his cot with the quilt
Ruth would cover him with. Yes, it is there.

This is the nightstand of Ninny when she is in the nursing home.
A picture of Ruth, and a teacup that melts my heart.


Love those hats!

An antique store across from the cafe. Makes me want to go junkin'.

More shops full of wonderful vintage items.

This scene is not in the original movie. It is not in the DVD I have either.
But if you catch the movie when it is run on TV, it is in that version!
I have tried to find out why but to no avail!
This is something that makes me go, hmmm.

Do you love those aprons or what!


Antiques fill the walls of the cafe along with many authentic items
that were used in the movie.
And signed by the cast.




Pie is a big deal at the Whistle Stop Cafe!
Pie is eaten, talked about, and used to solve
many a problem at the cafe.
Maybe we should all eat pie more often!


The interior of the cafe gives Cracker Barrel restaurants a
run for their money.
I would sit in a booth and imagine what everything would
like in my kitchen!

The food fight between Idgie and Ruth in the kitchen of the cafe.
I crave chocolate pudding every time I watch this.
And a plethora of other southern foods!


I do recommend that when you watch the movie you
have plenty of yummy snacks on hand.
Fried Green Tomatoes is not only eye candy for all things vintage,
it is a movie where food served in the cafe helps bring together
all the characters in the movie!
You will be hungry :)

Big George at his BBQ pit.
Do you know what Big George was really
cookin' up?


The BBQ as it is today when you visit!


The train depot.
And the water closet, in case nature calls!

Love those hats..
I am trying to learn to sew :)
(Note the word trying)
I want to make a closet full of vintage inspired 30's and 40's
dresses! I really should have payed attention when my Nana
tried to teach me.
Oh, the things we could kick ourselves for when we are older :)

This mailbox sits at Idgie and Ruth's' home across from the cafe.
I think I should try mailing a letter, what do you think?!
If you look at the sidebar, there is a picture of our cat,
Idgie. Named after Imogene Threadgoode (Idgie) from the movie,
she answers to both!
When I awoke this morning I knew it was going to be one of those rainy days.
Never ending rain. The horses stayed in their stalls.
J couldn't work in the field. The dogs couldn't spend time outside.
So we all snuggled on the couch (us and the dogs, and the cats!)
and watched Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.
Again!
There are so many memorable lines from the movie. but, I do love the last
one at the end.
Jessica Tandy as Ninney Threadgoode says to Evelyn Couch played by Kathy Bates,
"Do you know what I think is the most important thing in life is?"
"Friends, best friends."
I think she may be right. Thanks for being my friends!
xoxo
to learn more about Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe check out
Photos courtesy of Bing.

9 comments:

Diane said...

I too love that movie. Also it was the first time I ever heard of fried green tomatoes. Well not long after the movie I found me some green tomatoes and yeppers I fried them. They were delicious. I still fry green tomatoes and this year it looks like it will be a staple for awhile...I got lots of green tomatoes this year.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane...loved it!

Sarah Dawn said...

Now my mouth is a waterin ... I too loved this movie and I wanted to try making my own fried green tomatoes! I have yet to try them in real life.

And by the way, I loved my visit to your front porch.

Blessings for your night,
Sarah Dawn

Rural Revival said...

Oh, it's be so long since I've seen this movie, I need to watch it again soon! Sure hope the library has it on DVD. I best go see!
Be well! ~Andrea~
PS. Thanks for being my friend too!! : )

Oz Girl said...

Great post, Misha! I loved the book, but never saw the movie. I'll have to add that to my "must-see" list of movies. :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

What a wonderful movie! It's been *years*, so thanks to your reminder... I plan to re-watch it this weekend. Thank you... delightful post, as always! -Tammy

Heart2Heart said...

Misha,

I love this movie. It was a definite keeper and classic. My favorite is when Kathy Bates rear ends a car like six times and tells them "Face it girls, I am older and I have more insurance than you do!

Enjoy your rainy day. I am living through another perpetual sunny, cloudless, hot, day here in California.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Lone Star Queen said...

Thanks for reminding me of that movie. I LOVE it! I think I will dig it out and watch it this weekend. Love your blog!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh, Fannie Flagg is a wondrous writer, and the movie is fabulous! It's been AGES since I've seen it; I think I'll have to rectify that.
Love your tour of Whistle Stop!

And that farmhouse from the last post -- Oh I hope someone moves in! that house deserves new life, especially now that she's all spiffed up and ready to boogey. Good luck in tracing her history!

Cass

Rhonda Moon said...

I can hear the opening music and the sound of the train whisle blowing in the background. This is also one of my favorite movie and later it became one of my favorite books. One of those book you just don't want to end. Thanks for sharing.