29 July 2009

Julia and Julie.

http://juliepowell.blogspot.com/



This was the first blog I ever read.

Seriously.

I stumbled across this one cold morning while waiting for coffee to brew and the fire to heat in the wood stove. I could not figure out for the life of me what a blog was...but this "essay" I was reading was interesting.

All about cooking from a Julia Child cook book. For one year. Everyday.


As I got further into the story, I realized it was being made into a book.


Wow! This blog thing was kinda cool.

This woman, who billed herself as a "secretary in a sucky job", needed to find a way to bring herself out of the doldrums of everyday living.


And in the end, wrote a book, which became a movie.

This was the end of her first post in 2005.

"P.S. I STILL haven't figured out all this blog crap yet. Picture, blogroll, etc... to come when I get my head out of my a*s...."
posted by Julie Powell
August 2005


So I guess you never know. In fact, I think I may just
drop a comment to Miss Julie Powell.
And let her know, that I knew her when!
































Blessings,





8 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

Very cool! I really didn't know the whole story behind the movie, etc, until today. I had always 'known' Julia though. You just never know... behind these blogs of ours might be the next big fabulous book and movie deal. Well, it's a thought, huh? -Tammy p.s. You tell that J to get on the stick and get you some long-eared buddies for your horses ;-) p.s.s. Love your new sig!

Elle Bee said...

That's kinda neat that you stumbled upon her blog so long ago! I think that movie looks cute.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I can only hope this movie comes to Tazewell. Usually we see first run movies on DVD...in about a year -smile-. Like you, I had read her blog early days and am happy she's done so well.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Hi Misha, would you mind telling me how you put your signature on your blog posts? That's SO cool and I've gone to the MyLifeSignature site...Thank YOU!... but cannot figure out how to add it to my blog. I do have the HTML code but ???.
Thanks for your help. Sandra at
thistlecovefarms at gmail dot com

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Hi, I just did a post on Julie and Julia too! Glad to see the link to Julie's blog, I've been wanting to check it out! Can't wait to see the movie!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I have seen the previews of this movie, and already decided it's one I will go and see.
I love Meryl Streep (just watched her in Out of Africa) again last night.
Thanks for sharing the link, I'll have to have a little look-see ;)

Mountain Woman said...

I never knew about the blog until I started seeing ads for the movie which looks fabulous.

Anyway, you never know and if you become famous, I'll be right there to cheer you on.

P.S. - I don't know if you know but you have your blogger profile set to "Private" so if you leave a comment on a blog and they don't already know you, they have no way to find you.

Rural Revival said...

I stumbled across the book about a year or so ago, after reading a biography of Julia Child. I found a lot of similarities between the two of them, but none greater than trying something new with unexpected but marvelous consequences! I'm looking forward to seeing the movie!