03 July 2009

It's Called Independence Day for a Reason!

It was time to replace our flagpole last week. Over this past winter,
the old one just gave in to the harsh weather we had.
J always makes sure we fly the American flag. You know how most people always
figure out where they will put the Christmas tree when they move in a new place?
J always figures out where to put our flag.
He has a collection of flags that all have meaning to him.
He keeps them in a trunk with other mementos. One flag was his grandfathers.
It flew during WWII. One belonged to his father, who served in Vietnam.
And one flag was from a friend who served in the Gulf War.
And didn't come home.
Being the crafty, handy person my handsome husband is, he created this flagpole
out of a Cedar tree. To match my future mailbox!
Out came the post-hole diggers to erect the symbol of Freedom.
I watched him dig the hole, place the pole in the ground, and
raise the flag. As I was snapping the pictures, he never knew I was there.
Then I made the trek back to our house.

Later, when I showed him the pictures I snapped, I asked
him what he was thinking about while standing there. Looking so very pensive.
He said he was wondering what this flag will see in the future.
What history will
this flag know in the next year? The next five or ten years.
No matter what our flag will be a part of in the future; it will continue to fight
and stand for freedom for all.
The fourth of July is called Independence day for a reason!
*Thank you to all those who have served to keep our country safe.
And FREE.*








10 comments:

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

That photo brought a lump to my throat: to me it shows he was honoring those who fought under that flag and thought about all the men who brought home the meaning of freedom to him: literally. What special stories your flags have!
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
XOXO
Joni

Flat Creek Farm said...

Great post! And wonderful flag pole. Here in our neck of the woods, the cedars don't get as tall as yours in beautiful TN :) Happy Independence Day to you and yours! -Tammy

Oz Girl said...

My hubby has a spot all picked out for a flagpole but he hasn't had time to do so. Yet. I am sure he will get around to it soon! I really like how yours is out of a cedar tree. Recycled and rustic. Beautiful!

allhorsestuff said...

Lovely flag pole with a nice history and...future! I loved that photo of your man standing hter too!
We are free and enjoy our rights because of the soilders!
KacyK with Wa mare~

Cass @ That Old House said...

I never see our flag pass in a parade, or at other times, without getting tears in my eyes --- it stands for so much: our freedom, our national sacrifices, and all the individuals that make up our great land.

I hope we never lose our freedoms, or our ability to appreciate, and sometimes fight for them. A happy and blessed 4th of July to you and yours! Lovely and moving post...thanks.
Cass

Rural Revival said...

Well said. Happy Independence Day.
Be well. ~Andrea~

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I looked at your pictures and thought ....that is a wonderful tribute to our flag and all those who have gone before to make our country land of the free, and home of the brave.
I can imagine your husband standing there, honoring those he knew closest, and saying thank you..truly touching.

Cheryl and Carman said...

I'm a little late but....Happy Independence Day! Really nice photo!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Happy 4th to you and yours; love the fact your husband flies the flag!
You've been given a, well deserved, award at Thistle Cove Farm.

Mountain Woman said...

I almost cried reading your post thinking about all the brave men and women who have served our country. Your husband sounds like an incredible, thoughtful man.