09 July 2009

Because It's the Little Things in Life!

This week has flown by. I cannot believe it is almost Friday. Even though in my little world
Friday really has no more significance than any other day. When Saturday rolls around, I will be in the barn mucking, cleaning, and grooming as usual. Same for Sunday.
But please know, I am
not complaining.
At all!
I so enjoy being in the barn. I love waking the horses up to feed breakfast. I get a kick (day after day) of how vocal and excited they are to have their halters put on, because they know they are
going out to graze. I never tire of the barn cats, swirling around my feet, meowing to
be fed.
Every morning.
It's the little things in my life. The little things that make each day seem different from the next.
The little things that make each day sweet, as they fold into one another.
As we impatiently wait for D to foal, I try to enjoy all the little things that have come from this very unexpected (long story with this one!) equine pregnancy.
In my professional horsey days as a breeding manager for Arabian farms, I probably bred over 300 mares! I really didn't think I would ever get to witness another miracle, like each one is!
But I will.
Soon.
The little things make life sweet.

I am very sure D hopes it is soon! Her belly has grown so much in the last week. Bless her heart,
she is just so very uncomfortable. I snapped these pics late this afternoon, as she watched out her window. I wondered if she was thinking, "Come on kid, hurry up!"

Or if she was thinking that pretty soon, she wouldn't be going out with the other mares anymore,
just to leisurely graze, because she will have a filly or colt to watch over in her own paddock.

It's the little things like this that run through my mind, at the end of a hot, July afternoon, while the only sound in the barn is the other horses eating their hay.



Bella is growing, growing, growing. She is the sweetest of sweet. What a blessing to have a new little life to look after! J and I have spent countless hours playing with her. I think we like those jingle balls as much as she does! Our kitchen looks like we have a toddler in the house, from all the toys scattered on the floor!
I can't wait to come back to the house each day to watch Bella play with the older cats.

It's the little things in my life that really add up!




Everybody Loves Bella.
A new little someone to cuddle and sleep with.



And Zeke? Well he was raised by the cats in our home.
He knows they rule the world!
He will whine and wag his tail when Bella is sleeping in her basket. And nudge her with his big, old mug.
Because to him, I am sure, it is the little things that make his world go 'round.
That, and a dog cookie!


And Brutus? Well, Brutus is still claiming his spot as the "little guy" in the house. He is the only cat I have ever had that pouts. Pouts big time!
But he does love Bella and finds her a blast to play with.
And I am sure in the mind of Brutus...you can always blame stuff on the "real" kitten!


Brutus has also skillfully proven that he can still fit in the "baby" basket we have used for
every kitten. But it does take some skillful maneuvering to get all four legs to fit!
Oh, and a really big, fat tail.


Bella knows it her bed. But it's kinda nice to share it once in a while.
Because it's the little things that make a kitten feel warm and loved.

And Accepted.


Remember Elvis, our barn raccoon?
Well, J got quite the surprise the other night! Elvis is an Elvira. And Elvira brought her children to the barn to meet him! Yep, she has four "kits".
Tonight he set up the camera on the tripod in the barn to see if could capture the family sharing a dinner of 9 Lives! We lead such silly lives sometimes. But fun and silly go hand in hand.

'Cause, you know, it's the little things in life!








And finally, I have to show my little elephant lamp. I adore this little light. (My Aunt Debbie gave this to me. She is a follower of this blog, too!)
Two years ago it broke :(
Yesterday J surprised me. He finally fixed it.

Above the chest (that he just refinished and it's beautiful!) where the elephant lamp sits,
is a gorgeous painting by A.E. Backus.
He was one of the "Highwaymen" who painted pictures
of "old" Florida. My aunt and uncle gave this to us as a wedding gift because J and I met in Florida, where we both lived at the time.

What a wonderful gift it has been. A scene from old Key West.
Every time I look at it, I see something new.
If you want to read more about these awesome painters, who captured a time in Florida before
it was the number one tourist destination, check out this link,
http://www.backusgallery.com/





Every time I glance at my little lamp, sitting atop three of my favorite "old homes" books, it makes me smile.


Because it's the little things in life.

10 comments:

Lucy said...

I love your life. To be surrounded by all that you are...... As I sit here in my little townhouse in a very hot (not dry at this time) state, my envy ooozes out from all over me. Then I have to take a ride ..where? .. oh maybe south Phoenix or somewhere and realize I have it pretty good. Oh but to have all those wonderful animals around all the time. And the view, of course.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

You are SO right...life IS about the little things or what most think of as little. I think of them as large and life changing because when I pause, I see God in the details and hear His voice in the wind.
Kisses to the critters and my advice is...hire someone to do the housework so you can spend more time in the barn! -smile

Flat Creek Farm said...

Thank you for reminding me of those little things which are BIG blessings in our lives! Love the pic w/ Brutus and Bella in the basket :) And your elephant lamp is way cool - glad it's fixed! -Tammy p.s. I'm working on the sig thing (can't remember how..) - I've been short on brains this week d/t a headache. Oh, and the mama cat to our 2 new kitties looks so much like your pretty Lucy. I MUST befriend mama soon and have her fixed... right now she growls and runs!

Flat Creek Farm said...

ah ha! I found some help (since I couldn't remember how to do a signature template in blogger). Go here: http://momswhoblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-add-signature-to-your-posts-for.html
I think you have part of this figured out anyway, so just scroll down to the part ya need. Isn't this blogging thing fun?? I learn something new every day! -tw

Rural Revival said...

What a lovely post. Yes, it certainly is the little things in life that add up to so quickly to make our lives great. I just love how all of the animals have bonded with Bella! I am patiently waiting, no, actually impatiently waiting is more like it, to see your new arrival. I'm so glad the fireworks on the fourth of July didn't start things into action too soon for you! I have my fingers crossed for July 13...that's my birthday! Have a wonderful weekend and I'll be waiting to hear for you news!
Be well. ~Andrea~
PS. Love the elephant lamp! I'm glad to hear it's been brought back to life, what a lovely touch to a charming room!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Hi Misha,

You've got the "no comment" button on so I cannot respond to your e-mails via my blog. I can't find your e-mail on your blog so...am commenting here -smile-.
Honest Scrape Award - thank the person who gave you the award, tell about the award, tell 10 things other people don't know about you and then pass the award along to 10 people.
Any questions,
thistlecovefarms at gmail dot com.
Hope this helps.

Cheryl and Carman said...

Absolutely lovely post!

The Blue Ridge Gal said...

Completely agree. For so many of us it takes getting older to figure this out, that it is 'the little things', like the touch of a hand, the wiggle of a dogs tail, or the hiss of a kitty cat, the blossom of a flower or the whinny of a horse.

Lovely post.
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Mountain Woman said...

What a beautiful post. So many lovely and wonderful thoughts and the photos too. This is the first time I've had a barn and it is a very special place. I understand what you mean about the joy of going out to the barn in the morning. Wow, your mare is so very pregnant.
Your kitty and your cats are adorable and the raccoon with the babies must have been a sight to see. I loved your elephant lamp too.
Just a great post.

Oz Girl said...

You have such a beautifully simple life, and I love your life and your blog posts! :)

The picture of Bella all snuggled up with Brutus made me smile big -- the other pictures made me smile too, but that one coaxed a huge smile outta me.

I sure hope you guys get a pic of Elvira's kits, that would be adorable. And I can't wait to see a pic of your new arrival.

Thanks for the lovely post about the little things - so true, they do matter the most.