12 June 2009

Please Help the Life of an Animal that is Waiting for a Home!

Cold Nose, Warm Heart! It doesn't get any better than this!

I posted this a few months ago. But in light of the shelters who are still taking in so many animals that owners can no longer care for, I felt it was time for a second posting. If you wish to copy this and post it on your blog, you have my permission! In fact, I hope you do.

Let's pay it forward. For all of us that have an animal in our life that loves so faithfully and unconditionally, let's help an animal that is waiting for the right someone to come along and adopt them!

Animal shelters are really taking taking the brunt of these terrible economic times. Please consider putting them on your list when you are heading to the store! Before you think you can't afford to add anything in your cart, know it can be a simple donation of paper towels! Even one or two rolls. Our local shelter prints a list of shelter needs each week in our Sunday paper. If yours does not, call and ask!

WHAT SHELTERS NEED!

PAPER TOWELS
CAT FOOD (ANY SIZE)
CAT LITTER (ANY BRAND)
DOG FOOD
PUPPY AND KITTEN FOOD
FORMULABOTTLES
DOG AND CAT TREATS (FOR REWARDS AND TRAINING)
LAUNDRY DETERGENT
BLEACH
COPY PAPER
PRINTER INK
OFFICE SUPPLIES
OLD TOWELSOLD
BLANKETS
COLLARS
LEASHES
SWEATERS FOR LITTLE DOGS
DOG BEDS
DOG HOUSES
DOG AND CAT TOYS
FENCING FOR KENNELS
FOOD AND WATER BOWLS
TARPS
FANS FOR SUMMER
HEAT LAMPS

AND SO MUCH MORE...

Every time we grocery shop we buy a few extras of the "shelter needs" and I keep everything in the trunk. Once a month I make a run to the shelter. Please know, whatever you can give, they are grateful for it! I also shop at thrift stores and Habitat For Humanityshops for blankets and towels. You can get a bundle there for nothing!

Most shelters need a bunch of volunteers. From cleaning cages and dog runs, to leash training, laundry duties, office work. Also, socialization classes for the "kids"! Usually they have a cat room and volunteers are needed just to play with and exercise the kitties!

Let's all pay it forward and help all the critters waiting for homes be a little more comfy, well fed, warm, comfortable, and loved, while waiting for that perfect "someone". They give us so much love. Unconditionally.My life is so rich because of my four-legged kids, and I am a better person because they love me and I have the privilege of loving them!

*Check out Kelee at www.katillacshack.com/ and take part in the Dog Scarf Project. An awesome project to help all the animals affected by this terrible economy!

3 comments:

Lucy said...

GREAT POST! It gave me ideas I can do myself. Yes...I'm an animal freak from way back. I love them all and only wish I could take care of each and every one of them. Such sad stories out there. Good luck with the candy making. Hope it works out for you. It really is a good recipe if it works. If your husband has more candy making knowledge than I do and I'm sure he does, it will turn out great. :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

This is such an excellent and heartfelt post. We do have our rescues, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to help the other ones out there who may not have found their forever home yet. Great tips, and some very practical ones that are doable! -Tammy p.s. I so enjoy looking at the pictures of your adorable fur kids!!

Cass @ That Old House said...

What a wonderful post -- a great reminder of how much we can do with just a little extra effort. An extra hour or two a week spent walking shelter dogs is also much needed in most communities. Finding dogs find their "forever homes" is tough -- any help we can give is welcome. We have fostered several dozen homeless dogs and helped to place them and I know how rewarding it can be.
Beautiful blog, by the way! You have an amazing view off your front porch (mine overlooks a road, ick!)
Cass