09 March 2009

This Grand Old Home.

k We love old houses. The craftsmanship, the architecture, and the history of who originally built the home. But even more than all that-who lived in that old house when it was new. One of our favorite pastimes is taking a drive to look at old homes. Victorian, Craftsman, Italianate, Gothic Revival and simple farm houses. Always with camera in hand.

We have been eyeing this home forever. I finally convinced J to stop yesterday so I could take a peek and a few pictures. It is as beautiful up close as it is from the road. I don't know any history about it. I do know that is owned by a family who lives on the other side of our state. General maintenance is done such as lawn care. The last time anyone stayed at the home was Thanksgiving in 2007!

The home is massive with three stories. A neighbor did tell me that the home was in total ruins ten years ago. A new owner purchased it and restored the interior to it's glory of former years. I peeked in the windows and it is absolutely gorgeous! The mouldings around the windows and door ways is beautiful. The hard wood flooring is wide plank, and polished. The interior doors are the original; along with awesome and ornate door knobs. I wish I could go inside, but I may never leave!

There is a gazebo with a old forlorn rose garden and what used to be an herb garden off the kitchen, complete with a picket fence around it. Behind the home sits a brick duplex, probably used as quarters for staff. There are even rocking chairs on the front porch! An old stable barn still has what looks like the original iron stall gates.

Who built this home? Who lived here and what was the family like? I want to know! I am on a new quest to find these answers and when I do find out, I will put the history of this home with the pictures. But for now I wish the family who took so much time and love to restore it would visit a little more often. I think this old house wishes for a family to make a little noise running up and down the old staircase. A family to cook in the kitchen. A family to be tucked into bed at night, saying their prayers of thankfulness for such a grand roof over their heads! Old homes get lonely. I think this grand old home has cried a teardrop or two for the days of yesteryear.k

1 comment:

Cottage Contessa said...

Oh my goodness, this home is just magical! My husband and I both love old historical homes too, and to see them brought back to their former glory is an awesome thing to see. I had a little look around your blog just now and wanted to tell you that I think it's wonderful, and that I'd like to add you to my blogroll if that's ok with you? Also, thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, I really appreciate you taking the time to visit with me and leaving a comment. Wishing you a truly happy day!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)
Jacaranda Cottage.